Call it kismet, serendipity or mere coincidence that I spotted this gorgeous hilltop cabin in Nova Scotia on the New York Times yesterday. I’ve been semi-planning a road trip (it’s adventurous having no plan!) for my upcoming vacation and just last week decided Maine’s Canadian island neighbor would be the goal. But what’s to see in Nova Scotia?

nova scotia hilltop cabin

Photo: Tony Cenicola for The New York Times

Hopefully if the aesthetic of rest of the island is anything like this cabin, there will be plenty of good design to take in. The weather-worn shingles are right at home on the windswept coast.  The owners, cognizant of the intense light bouncing off the sea, chose a white stain for their wood floors and a palette of muted pastels all of which combine with an enchanting effect in the wide open spaces. Check out the full-sized images on The Times, they’re worth the look. Just don’t blame me if you suddenly want to come to Nova Scotia, too.

Design Inspiration

1. CplusE says:

What a perfect summer cottage! I don't know if I could live with that color palette year-round, but I sure wouldn't mind escaping Georgia's summer heat about now for a month or two in that gorgeous place.

2. desingergirly88 says:

yeah, its really cute! i wouldn't be there year-round because i love minnesota winters, as crazy as that may sound… :D
    but i would defiantly go there in the summer

3. anna@HGTV says:

The hallway color is one of my favorites. The color of my bedroom. To make it through dark, cold Nova Scotia winters, I'd have to paint the inside light pastels.

4. Karli_HGTV says:

Lili, can I come on vacay with you? I'll babysit! :)

5. Kayla@HGTV says:

I absolutely love the map collection displayed down the hallway.

6. Briana@HGTV says:

"I want to go to there." -30 Rock

7. google says:

each time i used to read smaller posts that also clear their motive, and
    that is also happening with this article which I am reading now.