Featured

Giving your 1980s-style bathroom vanity or contractor grade cabinets a full-body makeover doesn’t have to eat up your entire weekend. Here are two projects (yes, two – I couldn’t just pick one) that are quick, easy and will make you fall in love with your bathroom all over again.

Bathroom-Vanity-How-To-Projects-HGTV-DesignHappens

We all know wallpaper is back in style after a long stint in hiding, and you’ll never guess what designer/featured blogger Brian Patrick Flynn wants you to do? Wallpaper … your bathroom vanity. If it sounds tedious, don’t fret. You can knock out this project in half a day. Find a vinyl wallpaper pattern that you love but maybe couldn’t handle slathered over an entire wall. After removing the doors, sink and vanity top, you can start pasting the wallpaper and cutting away the excess with a utility knife. Smooth out any bumps or bubbles, reattach the hinges to the doors and vanity base and then add some gorgeous new hardware to complement its new look. (This is where project #2 comes in.)

If wallpaper isn’t your style, you can always add a colorful and playful coat of paint to your vanity for an instantly gorgeous look. But our favorite part of project #2 is the door knockers that have been repurposed as cabinet pulls. In virtually no time at all you can have a brand new bathroom vanity that’s sleek, stylish and wallet-friendly, too.

HGTV has all the step-by-step instructions and materials lists for both the wallpaper project and the simple vanity update. After you conquer these projects, we want to see and hear about your results!

Tell us in the comments below.

1. whistlerpotpie says:

Love the pop of color – hate the door knockers. They look like, well door knockers. Very odd.

2. alexander beitashour says:

My girl friend loves this! Was great inspiration for our new bathroom

3. Briana@HGTV says:

I dunno, I'm for the knockers, but that's just me! I always get a thrill out of using things in different contexts than they were intended. These anchor knockers would be very on trend in a nautical bathroom.

4. Lori says:

Yuck! Love this website but you missed the mark on this one.

5. Sue Ball says:

no way for wallpaper after taking wall paper down in a 27 yr old home where they never primed and had to reskim all the walls by hand and sanding and dust everywhere never never never–get creative with paint first!

6. Jill says:

I have done all the wallpaper that I plan to do in my lifetime. We just took down wallpaper and washed off the GLUE from our garage walls that has been there for about 30 years. We didn't have to paint BUT we could have painted 15 times easier than removing all the glue. I think putting it on a bathroom vanity cheapens the look of the bathroom. Painting it looks far better. After 35 years…..I will buy a brand new vanity.

• Carra says:

Jill, I agree, it does take on the look of cheap…make stripes with paint. Kill the wallpaper, besides it won't stay if there is any splashing much..

7. Kathy says:

Actually, don't care for either one. Too busy.

8. nancy says:

Papering a cabinet? How cheap looking. I would rather buy something new!

9. alice2u says:

Both of these projects, the wall covering for vanity and the door knockers are great for a photography shoot, but for someone to actually attempt the wall covering; unless you're a pro at this, it could end up looking deranged. And the knockers, that's just silly and people would think you're a little kooky using them as handles.

10. judy says:

Ugh! What a way to mess up otherwise beautiful bathrooms – walls, mirrors. Cheapo.