We love designing for our seven children, so the Everett family basement makeover was a blast! Even though the logistics of creating a bright and fun entertaining space for three kids and two adults is challenging enough, but we wanted to make this basement extra special with an emphasis on art and family memories.

Ultimate Art Space for Kids

Scott and Elyse’s kids are very creative, and they had accumulated loads of their art work with no place to hang it all, so we knew this had to be a focus of our design. Their new ultimate art space for kids now includes a wall stacked with pull-out craft paper, a wall covered in chalkboard paint and a cork board covered wall perfect for displaying art. And because it can be heartbreaking to part with our children’s art but eventually it can become cumbersome to keep it all, we went with the “shrink art” solution for the Everett family (something we’ve done with our own kids’ art.) Our friend and artist Jan Eleni makes wonderful archival solutions for displaying and enjoying your prolific young artists’ work forever.

Black and White Family Photos Wallpaper

We wanted mom and dad’s area of the basement to be full of personal keepsakes, just like the kids’ space. So we designed a focal wall covered in beautiful black-and-white wallpaper made from their family photos. This is a super easy project you can create online using one photo or a collage of photos for about $10/sq.ft. Adjacent to the family photo wall hangs an Ann Carrington original made with some help from our kids. The backing on the flag art is magnet boards that can be found at most home improvement stores.

Slide Staircase

Last week, we created a flirty pink-striped staircase for two surfing sisters. Well, clearly we can’t get enough funky staircases, because we did a playground style one this time — complete with a slide! In the show, wasn’t it fun to see the kids and parents can slide down to their new basement?

1. Maryann says:

Shrink art collage. Click on Collage at the top of the page… http://www.janeleni.com

2. Scot says:

What exactly is the magnet board they used and where did they get it? It appeared that the surface was the magnet and anything metal sticks to it?

• Anna@HGTV says:

I'll see what I can find out. I remember Cortney saying you can find it at home improvement stores. I'm thinking sign shops would have it for those magnetic signs people put on their cars promoting businesses. Or painting magnetic paint on plywood would be an option.

• Karli_HGTV says:

We've created a product page for this episode: http://marketplace.hgtv.com/Search.aspx?episode=H

• Scot says:

Hi Karli, product list still doesn't have a source for the magnet boards used to make the flag. would really love to find it, as I have an autistic child who loves collecting found coins and metal bits and I thought the idea of the magnet board to house his treasures would be great. his birthday is in a week and I have been searching like crazy. Thanks for any information – Scot

3. Pam says:

There was a short clip of Cortney and a Brooklyn artist who made art from scraps of wood. Do you have the name of that artist? Thanks

4. Stephanie says:

Where would I go to find magnetic board to make my own metal art?

• Anna@HGTV says:

Stephanie – they said in the show that local hardware and home improvement stores are a source, but I'm thinking companies that make those magnetic signs to go on cars promoting a copy are a possible route.

5. mike says:

Watched the first episode- could not believe how incredibly bad the design was….

And the second episode was even worse…

Would not let these people anywhere near my house!

6. Daniel says:

Ugg … just watched tonight's premiere episode …YUCK! This stuff will be dated in less than 5 years. It is not relaxing … they talked about best thing about the condo was the view – it still is, to escape this primary color mess. It is so distracting from the sea-side location and doesn't blend with the outside architecture at all. Sorry, but even some of the finishes were shotty – if you can tell on TV, then it has to be worse in person. Not impressed at all with these two.

7. Rhonda says:

this is a vacation condo, so not. I will cancel my DVR recording for this show.

8. Veni says:

I like some elements of the Novogratz rooms, but do not like the overall effect of any of their rooms in the shows so far. Their rooms are dynamic for sure, but they are not rooms I could live in at all, and I have painted each room in my house a different color, so I am not afraid of color.

9. Joey says:

Love the Novogratz and all their imaginative , fun, designs. My husband and I love to apply fun ideas into our home, and think outside the box. LOVE the SLIDE! We are in the process of renovating a new space now and would love the Novogratz to infuse their creative fun ideas any day! keep all of your creative unique ideas coming! Can't wait to see what's up next!

10. Nancy says:

Unfortunately I did not like his latest work at home from the beach. The master bedroom was yellow migraine and pink room all bored of the girl, I felt horrible. I think in this episode they (Novogratz)took too much coffee.