Featured

I never walked into elementary school without my plastic lunch box and matching thermos. Lunch box contents? A classic PB&J sandwich, potato chips, DunkAroos for dessert and a cold thermos of Juicy Juice. Every August, I’d claim that my plastic lunch box was broken or “not cool” and beg Mom for a new one. Aladdin turned into Pocahontas, Pocahontas turned into Toy Story, and soon I was rockin’ Hello Kitty or Lisa Frank. With back-to-school madness upon us, I have to do a nostalgic post for those that carried indestructible steel lunch boxes and for those of us from the plastic age.

Vintage-Lunch-Box-Back-to-School-HGTV-DesignHappensAll photos from Etsy: 1. AstralBoutique; 2. nerdnest; 3. VermontStHoldingCo; 4. rudysroundup; 5. TheFancyLamb; 6. DroopyMcCool; 7. OldCollectables; 8. theNeedleintheHay; 9. thecherrychic; 10. AstralBoutique

Looking back at those sweet and simple school days, what was your favorite lunch box? And do you still have it?

Tell us in the comments below.

Antiques

1. Chris says:

My dad was a construction worker and carried a black metal lunch box-the domed kind with the latch in the middle and a handle on top. I still have it, rusted some and definately in need of some TLC. This has inspired me to do something with it and display it in my home.

2. Rexette says:

I used to carry a red Garfield lunch box to work with me at a law firm (when I was in my 40's). Sometimes the lawyers would look around in the refrigerator and help themselves if they thought no one would notice but no one ever bothered my lunch. I had a lot of fun with that lunch box! ^_^

3. Arlene Wing says:

We still have our kids Holly Hobby a plaid lunch box and gentle ben with thermos…Many happy memories

4. Lori says:

My original black plastic "Shari Lewis and her friends" was disposed of years ago, but I was thrilled when
    my husband found an original online and gave it to me for my last birthday.

5. Sally says:

I started kindergarten in 195? with a metal Roy Rogers & Dale Evans lunchbox – it has a place of honor on the shelf in my kitchen now

6. Kayla@HGTV says:

Wow! I love everyone's lunch box stories/memories. Like most of you, my grade school lunch boxes are long gone. Maybe it's time for me to unleash my inner child and buy a kitschy one for work. I think everyone around here would appreciate it :)

7. Linda says:

I had the red plaid metal lunchbox when I was in grade school. I don't know what became of it. HOWEVER, I found one at a rummage sale for $1.00 and bought it immediately! I have it in my kitchen.

8. Yvonne says:

I had a baby blue Snorkles lunch box. I never knew what happened to that one or any of the others I've had. lol —-memory lane.

9. Yvonne says:

which reminds me… I also had a smurfs lunchbox. lol

10. Cheryl says:

I used to have a tin Bionic Woman lunchbox :) So funny when I think about it, I even dedicated a blog post to it, http://www.cherylstyle.com/blog/2011/8/18/pick-of