I never walked into elementary school without my plastic lunch box and matching thermos. Lunch box contents? A classic PB&J sandwich, potato chips, DunkAroos for dessert and a cold thermos of Juicy Juice. Every August, I’d claim that my plastic lunch box was broken or “not cool” and beg Mom for a new one. Aladdin turned into Pocahontas, Pocahontas turned into Toy Story, and soon I was rockin’ Hello Kitty or Lisa Frank. With back-to-school madness upon us, I have to do a nostalgic post for those that carried indestructible steel lunch boxes and for those of us from the plastic age.

Vintage-Lunch-Box-Back-to-School-HGTV-DesignHappensAll photos from Etsy: 1. AstralBoutique; 2. nerdnest; 3. VermontStHoldingCo; 4. rudysroundup; 5. TheFancyLamb; 6. DroopyMcCool; 7. OldCollectables; 8. theNeedleintheHay; 9. thecherrychic; 10. AstralBoutique

Looking back at those sweet and simple school days, what was your favorite lunch box? And do you still have it?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Kayla@HGTV says:

I'm really diggin' that California Raisins one. I think I need to buy it ASAP! Did anyone else jam out to the raisins in the 90s? (Looking back, that's such a weird concept!)

2. CplusE says:

One of my brothers had that plaid lunch box — don't know where it is now (he may still have it!). I had a Barbie doll lunch box, but it was one of those vinyl-and-cardboard types which disintegrated long before I finished grade school!

3. [...] via: Hip, Vintage Lunch Boxes for the Young + Young at Heart Category: Design Tags: boxes, Heart, Lunch, vintage, [...]

4. HGTV_Kelley says:

Aw! I still have my Raggedy Ann lunch box from elementary school displayed proudly in my kitchen.

5. Karli_HGTV says:

Wouldn't exactly call it vintage, but I had a snarky Happy Bunny metal lunch box as a kid. So obnoxious.

6. Jsab says:

I had the black pastic Barbie lunch box too
    I really had to talk my Mom into buying it she wanted me to get a metal one.

7. Julie says:

At the risk of dating myself, I had a metal Holly Hobby lunchbox, and it wasn't vintage at the time :) I have no idea what became of it but I wish I still had it.

8. Deacon says:

I drag my Charlie Brown lunchbox with the original Thermos to work every day. got it in Kindergarten 1969. I think I use it more now than I did then.

9. Donald Thompson says:

I have my metal Tarzan lunchbox displayed in my kitchen. 1972

10. Meredith says:

We bought our daughter a vintage-looking metal Wizard of Oz lunch box, and I love that it is unique from all the modern day characters and high-tech thermal totes the kids bring to school. She was on a Wizard of Oz kick at the time, and still loves using it!

Kayla KittsKayla is a special projects editor at HGTV.com and a co-editor-in-chief for Design Happens. Kayla is an overbearing cat mom with a love for vintage-modern furniture, artisan cocktails, organizing all...

See What We’re Pinning