David and Jane Cohen finally moved into their dream apartment, one with big, beautiful windows filled with stunning views of Manhattan, a terrace perfect for entertaining and other architectural details that made the it distinctive. But their temporary furnishings were too neutral and bland, really, making the penthouse a big white box. Far from the colorful home Jane and David wanted it to be.

Rob’s and my goal was to take their design sky high with a vibrant and timeless eclectic look. We mixed contemporary furnishings with vintage pieces. And to make their new home really pop, we used metallics to reflect the New York City skyline and bold blasts of color in the furniture and art to make the space really fantastic.

BEFORE ___________ AFTER
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - before and after - NYC Penthouse Apartment

Since we were working with 18 foot ceilings, hanging the six mod gold lights of varying sizes that we found at ABC Carpet and Home made for a much more dramatic statement than a single chandelier would. And by hanging them at different heights, they can be enjoyed from below, as you are walking up the stairs and from the second floor.
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - NYC Penthouse Apartment

The art, including a piece David and Jane already owned positioned next to the silver chesterfield and the “figure of speech” painting we commissioned by artist Cristina Vergano hung above the stairs, gives the apartment a quirky and smart jolt of character.
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - NYC Penthouse Apartment

We found the Philippe Starke inspired marble dining table at Modani, as well as the silver Croco Louis-style chairs. The oval shape allows for more seating, a perfect fit for the space. We scored the mint green 40s chairs, navy Deco chairs and Harry Bertoia chairs at Adelaide.

To make your own environment pop with character, invest your budget in bright throw pillows, a colorful carpet, unusual art (it doesn’t have to be expensive!) and lots of funky vintage furniture mixed with contemporary pieces. Remember, big walls need big art and cool accessories help define a space in a more exciting way.

1. Todd says:

Liked the matching navy deco chair who made them

2. Cali says:

Hi Novogratz!
    I Love your new show…almost as much as the old one. You guys have great taste!!!!!
    ogclan6 4p is an ass bag! Well, I think his reference to Vern and Candice as some sort of credible style source says it all. Anyway, I read the FAMILY rug was part of your new line. Where will it be sold and when can I have it delivered? :)
    Thanks for all the inspiration. You and you kids are the coolest!

3. David says:

I too loved the blue sofa and would love to know where I could find it!

4. David says:

It's the Elan sofa from by Cappellini!

5. Robert says:

Where can I find the "family"" rug

6. Cathy says:

I look forward to seeing the show on Saturdays. I first got introduced to the Novogratz via iTunes when I bought their Bravo episodes. Fantastic! I hope to visit some of the shops you feature in "Home" when I visit New York in Sept. Ya'll do amazing work! Smart move HGTV!

7. Hutton says:

Does anyone know what kind of tree is in the large silver floor vase? And where I can I get it?

8. Lisa Tierney says:

Where can I get The Family rug? Would look awesome in my family room! Thanks!

9. anna@HGTV says:

The FAMILY rug is a new Novogratz design coming soon to thenovogratz.com.

10. peggy says:

I love you guys! And I love your designs! Love, love, love the art selection and the hanging lights. And I am dying over that silver Chesterfield! One question – I've noticed in both of your episodes that your TVs are mounted and there is no storage for components, remotes, etc. How are you hiding those devices?