David and Jane Cohen finally moved into their dream apartment, one with big, beautiful windows filled with stunning views of Manhattan, a terrace perfect for entertaining and other architectural details that made the it distinctive. But their temporary furnishings were too neutral and bland, really, making the penthouse a big white box. Far from the colorful home Jane and David wanted it to be.

Rob’s and my goal was to take their design sky high with a vibrant and timeless eclectic look. We mixed contemporary furnishings with vintage pieces. And to make their new home really pop, we used metallics to reflect the New York City skyline and bold blasts of color in the furniture and art to make the space really fantastic.

BEFORE ___________ AFTER
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - before and after - NYC Penthouse Apartment

Since we were working with 18 foot ceilings, hanging the six mod gold lights of varying sizes that we found at ABC Carpet and Home made for a much more dramatic statement than a single chandelier would. And by hanging them at different heights, they can be enjoyed from below, as you are walking up the stairs and from the second floor.
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - NYC Penthouse Apartment

The art, including a piece David and Jane already owned positioned next to the silver chesterfield and the “figure of speech” painting we commissioned by artist Cristina Vergano hung above the stairs, gives the apartment a quirky and smart jolt of character.
Home by Novogratz - HGTV - NYC Penthouse Apartment

We found the Philippe Starke inspired marble dining table at Modani, as well as the silver Croco Louis-style chairs. The oval shape allows for more seating, a perfect fit for the space. We scored the mint green 40s chairs, navy Deco chairs and Harry Bertoia chairs at Adelaide.

To make your own environment pop with character, invest your budget in bright throw pillows, a colorful carpet, unusual art (it doesn’t have to be expensive!) and lots of funky vintage furniture mixed with contemporary pieces. Remember, big walls need big art and cool accessories help define a space in a more exciting way.

1. Jesus says:

Home by Novogratz is total crap. Eclectic is defined as… Deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. Not… impulse buying crap to randomly throw into a space. They are insanley full of themselves and hack designers. The space was better before they touched it.
    And WTF HGTV? The same couple gets to have Color Splash do their bedroom too? What an insult to David.

2. Jen says:

I am hugely disappointed with the home by novogratz show. It was advertised as being something wonderful and yet I have not liked a single design. I think my 4 year old could do better! Most often the rooms looked better before they "designed" it. Sorry home by novogratz but I will not be watching anymore.

3. Wendy says:

I'd like to know who this couple knows at HGTV….after seeing this espisode a few weeks ago, I just watched them have their bedroom done by David on Color Splash! What's next…. Candice doing their kitchen?? They may be seriously loaded, but let's try to spread the love around a bit better, I guess.

4. Greg Doornbos-Ross says:

OMG you guys do such awesome work! This same couple was on Color Splash and David did an amazing job on their bedroom! Very lucky couple to have spaces designed by Cortney and Bob Novogratz and David Bromstad.

5. Retired Grammy says:

I can't believe I missed most of the shows. I loved you on Bravo and was hoping you would do another show. I only saw one or two promos for the show on HGTV. I can't seem to find past full episodes to watch of previous shows either. Hope they will air the whole series again, so I can watch the full series of shows. Always glad to see your designs and your family.

6. OnTheFly says:

Hey,
    David Bromstead designed their bedroom. How come they get to guest star on two design shows?

7. sparky says:

Please help, I have seen aluminum side tables in your home. Where can I find them?

8. Kim says:

This is the coolest couple of TV!! Love their design ides!!!

9. lisa says:

I am sorry but not a fan. I like color but WOW that is awful. Just makes me think that maybe I can be a famous designer and have a show because you don't have to have talent.

10. Laura says:

The only thing I liked about the room was the light fixture. That artwork was hideous! I would be so mad if that was my place. I would never let those two anywhere close to my house. Nothing goes together. It's like they pick random things and put them anywhere. And who really wants a rug that says Family?? I feel bad for those people.