We thank them for giving us a good fright in the first true summer blockbuster, Jaws, Shark Week and one of the coolest diving with sharks Youtube videos. But that isn’t the only reason to show sharks some love. Their streamlined bodies and striking jawlines have inspired some pretty rad home decor and entertaining ideas.

Shark Decor

1. watermelon.org; 2. Etsy: berkleyillustration; 3. Oh Brooke; 4. Etsy: Handamade; 5. PB Teen; 6. Etsy: Allisonbook ; 7. Pottery Barn Kids; 8. Etsy: Royalkane ; 9. Etsy: JohnBirdsong

So many clever, biting finds. Who wouldn’t want to dive into a shark-shaped watermelon at a backyard pool party. Briana found that dapper Great White Shark print on Etsy and posted it with her Daily Delight: Hammerhead Shark Wallpaper. My favorite design is the black and white great white pillow I found on Etsy. It reminds me of everyday beach decor (like the trendy starfish) with a slightly menacing twist. And who needs guard dogs when you can have fearsome fencepost sharks?

Do you like sharks or do you fear them too much to incorporate them in your home decor?

Tell us in the comment area below.

1. Karli_HGTV says:

I live in a land-locked state, but I'm seriously contemplating a shark fence. Don't tell my husband, but he's definitely getting that shark coozie for his birthday. I'll probably use it more though! It's too darn cute!

2. Hilary@HGTV says:

Oh I agree! That coozie will be perfect for the upcoming football season.

3. CplusE says:

I haven't encountered that many sharks and the few I have met were not scary at all — one I accidentally caught (long story) and ate (yum!), one was a baby caught by someone surf fishing, and one was another baby trapped in a mangrove swamp after a storm. As for shark decor, it is not high on my preference list, but I did find a couple of items that I would be happy to own. The first is this whimsically colorful shark table:

Not cheap, but you can have one custom-made! The other is this subtle shark chair — you only notice its cleverly shark-like design from a certain angle:

If I did decide to go all-out for sharks, I would have to have this wall mural:

I wonder what my husband would think of a home decor shark attack?

4. anna@HGTV says:

CplusE, I knew you'd find some cool designs, the Artifort chair is my fave. I'm scared of anything in the ocean that can sting or bite, so I'll stick with decorating with starfish and sand dollars.

5. Liz_HGTV says:

Instead of fruit bouquets, I'd like to receive that watermelon shark.

6. Hilary@HGTV says:

Wow! It sounds like you have some great stories to share. That table is so cool. How do you always find the coolest decor and websites?

• CplusE says:

I really enjoy doing web searches, even though it sometimes gets me into trouble (do a search for "turtle rug images" — that red rug with the shocking price tag is now ours thanks to my love of random searches!). My best advice is to always do a picture search first and find website links from there. The same picture will often show up many times, so you can pick and choose the best sites. I always try to find the original source, which sometimes takes some tracking down, so the more sources you find the more likely you are to find a link to the original. Design and decor sites are the most fun to search — just pick a topic and how you would like to see that topic used (for example, I thought shark furniture would be amazing, so I did a search for "shark furniture images", then refined it to "shark chair images" to find the chair). I just got a bunch of new catalogs in the mail with the latest looks for fall, so I know what topic I'll be googling next!

7. [...] Attack of the Shark Decor: A Design Special   Yesterday, August 03, 2011, 8:20:04 AM | Hilary Johnson [...]

8. Hilary@HGTV says:

I love, love, love that turtle rug! It's like a normal, elegant rug that anyone would put in their home, but it has way more character. It's decor like that that shows a person's true personality/style. That's great advice to google search images first. I often find myself addicted to connecting from one blog to the next in this giant train of links. Haha. It maybe isn't the most efficient way, but it's pretty fun.

What trend did you see that you'll be googling next? I want in on it! ;)

9. Eileen says:

I have a home in florida near a beach where finding shark teeth is pretty common. Manasota Beach. I have collected a lot of them and recently made a utensil holder for the kitchen with sisal rope and decorated it with found shark teeth. so even though I have a healthy fear of them, I still think they are interesting to decorate with.

It's in my etsy shop now and has been featured in the etsy treasury.

10. I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours as of late, yet I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It’s lovely value enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will probably be a lot more helpful than ever before.