Ken and I have been tripping over piles of books for a few weeks now, and instead of leaning toward the obvious solution (purge those books!), we took the fun road: build more shelving! Ken will take any opportunity he can to play with his table saw, so after a day of blueprints, planning and precise measurements, we arrived at the following design:

Building A DIY Cube Shelf - Erin Loechner

The finished product.

Our original hunch was to paint the cubes white and leave a woodgrain backdrop for visual interest, but after Ken finished the first cube with such precision, we wanted his handiwork to shine. I mean, really — look at how beautiful those corners are!

Building A DIY Cube Shelf - Erin Loechner

Exhibit A: I married a perfectionist.

So, we left the premium grade pine untouched, unstained and completely lovely:

Building A DIY Cube Shelf - Erin Loechner

Gah! This wood is gorgeous.

We chose to design a corner unit to exist directly behind my office chair, creating the perfect storage solution for referencing a design book or staring at my [sorely thirsty] terrarium. The result is modular, unexpected and entirely functional.

Building A DIY Cube Shelf - Erin Loechner

A sneak peek of my desk.

The design is a great contrast to our streamlined and modern art shelf we shared a few weeks ago.

Building A DIY Cube Shelf - Erin Loechner

Surprisingly, the cubes offer a great deal of storage.

I’m thrilled to say we’re no longer tripping over books, and our DIY cubes house everything I need to keep my office space organized and inspiring. Three cheers for another successful storage solution!

What about you? How do you keep your office organized? Any tips/tricks to share?

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Martha says:

how are they joined? glue? magic? :)

2. Carolyn says:

Does anybody know the name of the computer program used on tv tp show what rooms will look like after a renovation?

3. Gorgeous! Love the workmanship, the streamline look, the cantilevered placement of the adjoining shelving unit. Look out IKEA. ;)

4. Jason says:

very nice, I'm thinking of remodeling my bathroom. Just bought a beautiful vanity. If anyone si interested, i got it at discountbathroomvanities.com bathroom vanity

5. [...] stool indoors for an edgy and strong end table that will balance all of the soft furnishings in my office. I’m officially on the hunt for a more affordable alternative! $850 at Mecox [...]

6. StorageSystems says:

This is a great post here we can get a good choice to select office shelves s per our own choice.Thanks for sharing it. http://www.storagesystems.ie/bruynzeel-commercial

7. StorageSystems says:

I loved the the design of it.Really very innovative and eye-catching.Very Nice Blog.

Best Regards http://www.storagesystems.ie/

8. Ruthie says:

Where did you get your plans? I love the L-design and would like to do this in my office.

9. EdwardThirlwall says:

LOL @Martha! I'm really liking the versatility of this storage box idea! Honestly, one can't get enough of storage these days, especially when it comes to office filing. We have a lot of customers at out Sydney Self Storage facility who are keeping their 5 years of company records with us because of the ease and convenience of doing so.

10. Edward says: