Warning. Somewhere our feature blogger Brian Patrick Flynn is feeling the urge to “punch an angel.” That’s what he said in February when he ixnayed this color in favor of tangerine. Then in March, you, our Design Happens readers championed aqua over this hue in a runoff vote. But for those of you who described it as the color of happiness… for TaraLovesHGTV, Jolie, Leslie, @paintedroom, Amy PureHome, CplusE, Cynthia, time for a big smiley face. Kayla made a persuasive pitch to our color team, and HGTV.com’s August Color of the Month is…

…Chrome Yellow. The perfect color to take us from the scorching sun of August into the cooler temperatures of fall and the anticipated bright yellow shade of leaves on elm, aspen and ginko trees. But for now, it’s the free wheeling days of cruising around on a retro banana-seat bicycle or, even better, in a convertible Chevy Camaro painted chrome yellow.

Kayla joined me in writing this post. She picked three rooms that use this hue in unexpected color combinations. And I’ve included shopping picks for introducing chrome yellow into your home design, including some fun color combos, as well.

THREE ROOMS WITH CHROME YELLOW from Kayla

Wendi-Young-Design-Yellow-Gray-BedroomWendi Young Design

When I imagine the perfect color buddies for chrome yellow, I immediately think of gray and black or white and turquoise or lime. One color I never really considered is creamy beige, and yet these colors are so refreshing and perfect together. Designer Wendi Young started with a neutral palette, and then spiced it up with punches of yellow. The beauty of this pairing is the obvious balance and flow all around. The yellow accents in the lamps and upholstery fabric don’t jump out at you, but without these few energizing pieces, a room like this could feel ho hum.

Massucco-Warner-Miller-Design-Yellow-Living-RoomMassucco Warner Miller Interior Design and Decoration

When you look at the photo on the left, what’s the first thing your eyes catch? The vibrant yellow pillow on the sofa, right? That’s the point of the beloved gray and yellow color combination. The gray sits back (sophisticated, subdued), while yellow creeps in and steals all the spotlight… with just one pillow. In this living space by Julie Massucco Kleiner, this popular color combo is taken to a whole new level with the hints of sage and the strong presence of yellow’s color wheel opposite — purple. Yet, it’s the few yellow pieces that emit the most exuberance and liveliness.

Almhult-Ann-Britt-Wallmen-Design-Yellow-Sofa-Living-RoomSkonahem.com

If you thought you couldn’t bring a bright yellow into winter, designer AnnBritt Wallmen definitely proves you can. The chrome-yellow sofa is instantly warmed up by its wool exterior as well as the navy wallpapered walls and accents that surround it. The yellow, fuchsia and metallics are energizing, while the art, the patterns and the deep blues and greens hint of mystery.

SHOPPING FOR CHROME YELLOW from Anna

Chrome Yellow - HGTV Color of the Month - August 2011

Anthropologie vintage rotary phone; Bauer Pottery Company coffee pot; Urban Outfitters GiGi nightstand; Anthropologie lemonade urn

Chrome Yellow - HGTV Color of the Month - August 2011

J Schatz Egg planter; Bungalow 5 beveled glass petal mirror
Chrome Yellow - HGTV Color of the Month - August 2011

ETSY GizmoandHooHa vintage metal file box; Candelabra Oggetti Luce Belle pendant

CHROME YELLOW PAINT OPTIONS: Mythic Paint Sunny at Heart, Sherwin Williams Daisy, Benjamin Moore Bright Yellow, Valspar Buttered Toffee.

So, what do you think of our August Color of the Month? Big smiley face? A color you can love in your home year round?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Anne says:

On "Designed to Sell ", why is Shane Tallant introduced as a Host, whereas Michael Johnson is introduced as Michael Johnson? Salary ? Tenure ? Contractural Agreement ? Host In Training? Interesting. They do the same job?

2. Jessica Bradley says:

I am surprised it took so long for this sunny color to get it's spotlight. I've been coveting it for ages now – I even painted my desk chrome yellow to keep me energized and motivated. (We chose it for our color of the month at Artwork Network, too! Check out our "Hello Yellow!" collection, for more yellow eye candy: http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/164588/ad960c0097/ARCH…. Also, the lemonade jar is SUCH a beauty, but why do you think they label it an "urn"? Not exactly a mouth watering image, picturing where the dead (lemons?) are kept.

3. Marianne says:

I love this color! It's on my toes right this very second.

4. CplusE says:

Wow! Room number three — I just want to jump right through my computer screen and into that space! And that bright yellow retro phone might tempt me to actually enjoy phone conversations. I have to admit being a little timid about picking yellow accessories, but you have just given me the courage to try! Thanks!

• anna@HGTV says:

Isn't AnnBritt's design thrilling! We were determined to find a stunning example of how this yellow can work well all year round if you don't happen to live in LA or FLA, and that room is it! (I want the throw on the ottoman!)

5. [...] via: HGTV’s Color of the Month Gets a Smiley Face: August 2011 Category: Design Tags: 2011, August, Color, Face, Gets, HGTV’s, Month, [...]

6. @casadecrain says:

Gorgeous! In our last home our entire downstairs was a warm yellow. Because it was everywhere, it effectively became a neutral. We received many compliments on our "bold" choice. When it's used right, it's right. Love all of these examples.

7. LisaM13 says:

I'm doing sunflowers in my kitchen, so this is perfect! Love it. Comment (as related to "punching an angel in the face"): when I put the bright yellow lemonade jug (urn) on the shelf, it'll punch my hubby's eyes out (lol at the visual). But I think he'll like it. :-)

8. Terry F. says:

My son is 12 and has loved this color ever since he could choose for himself. I am really having trouble figuring out ways it can grow with him. Any ideas would be super! I have found many bins and totes at the $ store, but other than that I am a bit stumped. We both like a dark, yet bright blue with it. Not as dark as a navy blue.

9. Emmy G says:

Love it!! So cheery!

10. JUDI says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE COLOR YELLOW CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK SO CLEAN.