Last week, Anna blogged about decorating with chrome yellow, HGTV’s August Color of Month. So, as I prepared my post on entertaining with chrome yellow, it dawned on me that I must have a thing for color, because I seem to adore every hue that is picked as the Color of the Month. One of these days, the HGTV color team will select a tough one for entertaining, and I promise to confess if I hate it. For now, I’m all about this month’s bright shade of yellow.

credits :: lemon bars, frozen lemonade, lemon cupcakes

My favorite color trend right now is the yellow and gray combination. From home decorating to weddings, this pairing is simply gorgeous. These pretty paper details will add color and texture to your next soiree.

sources :: paper medallions, pinwheels, thank you cards, poms

To bring in the bright yellow color to your party, use lemons for decor, desserts and drinks.

sources :: cake, candy jars, flowers

I recently styled this yellow and gray dessert table for a HGTV feature on “Elements of a Dessert Table“. Created to celebrate an engagement, the ideas shown are also perfect for a bridal shower, baby shower or wedding. Brightly colored candy and desserts bring pops of yellow into the design.

dessert table photos :: Laura Winslow Photography

Have you used this bright and cheerful color for a party or wedding?

Tell me about it in the comments below.

1. Katie (Sew Woodsy) says:

Love all the yellow!

2. Guest says:

Love lemons!! Love yellow!! Love yellow and grey!! I painted my front door yellow to go with my lt. grey siding!

3. [...] via: Entertaining With the Color of the Month: Hosting a Party? Say Hello to Yellow Category: Design Tags: Color, Entertaining, Hello, hosting, Month, Party, [...]

4. letskeepclicking says:

I love yellow, and when combined with grey it looks so elegant! I used lemon yellow for a small summer lunch at home, and I am planning to use it for my twins 3rd birthday party.

5. CplusE says:

Oh, yum! Lemon bars are the food of the gods! I love lemon yellow with chocolate brown — such a tasty combination! In fact, I tried to find a recipe for lemon bars with a chocolate crust but could only find pictures. I may have to make one up!

• Great idea…the yellow with chocolate brown! Love it and share that recipe with us when you make it up! Yum!

• CplusE says:

I finally got around to making up that recipe, so here it is (pan size is important so only use a 9-inch pan):

Lemon Bars with Chocolate Crust

Crust:
        4 pieces Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Miniatures
        8 T. (1 stick) butter, cut into eight pieces
        1 C. flour
        2 T. cocoa powder
        1/4 C. sugar

Filling:
        1 1/2 C. sugar
        6 T. flour
        2 lemons, zested and juiced
        4 eggs, beaten

Microwave chocolate pieces 30 seconds. Add butter and microwave another 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate and butter are completely melted and blended (microwave an additional few seconds if necessary). Combine dry ingredients. Stir in the wet ingredients until a smooth dough forms. Press dough evenly into the bottom of a 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Combine all filling ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until filling is set but not hard. Cool completely on wire rack (filling will firm up). Cut into 16 squares and dust with confectioner's sugar if desired.

Enjoy!

6. Stephanie says:

You've just inspired me – this will be the color scheme I go with in my master bedroom! Thanks :)

7. Tamarria says:

Green is my absolute favorite color and yellow is following closely behind! I recently starting adding yellow to my home decor. It's bright, beautiful, and adds a ray of sunshine to your everyday! I love the ideas you have provided in this post!

8. Thank you, Tamarria! I'm glad you liked the post. I agree, yellow is definitely uplifting!

9. Lori H says:

These colors together are magnificent! Love the idea of the lemons in the jars for the flowers too!