Let me share with you a peek into our minds when it comes to renovating a home, yes? Shortly after our massive kitchen makeover, Ken and I celebrated by doing nothing for an entire weekend. And when I say weekend, I mean eight days. Probably more, really.

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

Introducing...our kitchen backsplash!

Renovating is a marathon, and as rewarding as it is, we often find ourselves sitting on the bench like after a long race, catching old re-runs of Murder She Wrote and eating pints of ice cream.

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

Our backsplash-less kitchen.

This explains precisely why it’s taken us nearly six months to finish our kitchen, even though we only had one key project to complete: the backsplash. Sure, we’ve been preoccupied with the laundry room, guest bedroom and living room, but in all actuality, we embrace snack breaks and lounging far more than I’d like to admit.

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

Look! A backsplash! We chose Modwalls' Lush 3x6 subway tile in Cloud.

Regardless, we finally bit the bullet and tackled the final project on our kitchen to-do list this past weekend. And surprisingly, it was far easier than we’d imagined! Here’s how we made it happen:

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

First things first...

Step One: After filling in the empty space between the drywall and pantry with a pre-measured slab of particle board, we installed a fiber cement backer board and prepped for the tile.

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

Measure twice; cut once.

Step Two: Before spreading a thin-set mortar, we measured our window trim and outlets to ensure a seamless fit for the tile pattern. Each necessary cut was made with a tile saw. [Hint: Permanent marker works wonders on glass tiles and can be rubbed off easily later!]

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

Let the games begin!

Step Three: After waiting 24 hours, it was time to grout! [This video has some crazy helpful tips for the messy job, FYI.]

Kitchen Backsplash- Erin Loechner

El fin.

Step Four: After the grout dries, the final step is to apply grout sealer and marvel at your gorgeous new kitchen.

Have you ever installed a kitchen backsplash? How did you fare?

Tell me in the comments below.

DISCLAIMER: The backsplash for this project was provided by and is available at ModWalls.com. The products mentioned in the above post were provided to me by the stated brand or company for review and/or sponsorship purposes only. I was not paid to promote or endorse this product and all thoughts and ideas are truthful and reflect my opinion alone.

1. ag. says:

We're redoing our kitchen in September so I am taking notes! Looks great!

2. Briana@HGTV says:

Wow. I love that the tile color is called "Cloud"…a perfect name for a dreamy hue!

3. erin loechner says:

It makes such a huge difference, yes? :)

4. do2na says:

We tiled our kitchen back splash as a giant mosaic. (It took 2 years to come together completely so I understand delays, both logistical and motivational.) At the start, I hosted a "tile" party where my friends came over and made a lot of the individual mosaic tiles for the wall. I provided all the materials, tools, room and alcohol! We have since moved from this house and luckily we installed the whole thing to be removed (somewhat) easily in case future owners were not as inclined to keep it – which they weren't. I will find a way to reuse the tiles – possibly for an patio table – so I can keep the work of art my friends helped create. Photos here: http://www.belladesign.net/kitchen/

5. erin loechner says:

@do2na what a BRILLIANT idea! :)

• MZeigler says:

Can you explain how to make the tiles? We are redoing our kitchen and I want to make a mosaic from my husband & I's china from both grandparents. We do not use these and thought it would be great to honor our families. Was not sure how to begin. Thanks for your help.

6. modwallsdesignernote says:

Great job! The Lush 3×6 Cloud is gorgeous in your kitchen!

7. erin loechner says:

thanks so much!!!! :)

8. [...] backsplash with modwalls® Lush® 3×6 Cloud glass subway tile and blogged all about it on HGTV. Erin Loechner's completed kitchen with Lush® 3×6 Cloud tile [...]

9. Nathan says:

Love white kitchen. Its looks so clean

10. Gail says: