I love the burlap trend that I am seeing grace parties and weddings everywhere. Think beyond potato sacks and get creative! There are so many ways you can use burlap for your next gathering, whether it’s a dinner party, wine tasting, children’s party or wedding. The natural color and texture add charm to any setting. Plus, burlap is biodegradable and inexpensive.

There are a wide range of products now available for home decorating and entertaining made of burlap. Why not use a burlap runner for your dining table. This printed one is gorgeous. A simple, plain one would be great too, because you could use it everyday or for a variety of events. These embellished votive holders are simple and darling. And present your utensils beautifully in a basket dressed up with a burlap liner.

sources :: burlap table runner, votives, basket liner

When I spotted this burlap wine carrier on Etsy, I knew I had to share. I wouldn’t mind carrying this into a party at all. It’s so stylish and functional!

source :: wine carrier

What to wear? If I’m hosting a gathering, I always like to coordinate with the party. While burlap might be a bit uncomfortable to wear, linen is a great alternative that keeps with the style. These espadrilles are on my list for sure, and this dress looks cute and comfortable.

sources :: shoes, dress

I’ve come across so many exquisite weddings that feature this natural fabric. In the right setting, burlap gives rustic weddings a dose of charm. Burlap is commonly used to create bunting for wedding and party decorations. This customized monogrammed version is adorable. The wrapped monogrammed vases would make lovely centerpieces.

sources :: monogram and pennant banner, vases

For you crafty types, burlap can be purchased by the yard or as ribbon. Think of the possibilities! I love these placecard/favor boxes dressed up with burlap flowers. And the “love” favor bags would be perfect for a shower or wedding.

sources :: burlap ribbonplacecard/favor box idea, favor bags

I recently created several projects for HGTV using burlap. In case you missed them, you can learn to make a knotted burlap wreath and how to dress up a burlap pillow cover. Perfect for the holidays and everyday entertaining.

Have you ever used burlap for an event or home decorating? How did you use it?

Tell me in the comments below.

1. anna@HGTV.com says:

I swoon for burlap and all these party decorating ideas. Love the wine carrier. Wonder if they do a male version using a tie?

2. Jessica says:

What a timely post. I'm actually planning my sisters' wedding shower at my house next weekend and plan to use burlap for some of the decor. Like table overlays, runners, around vases and such. It's so affordable and comes in a variety of shades.

I love the pendant banner, maybe I'll make one!

• steph says:

I did not know that it comes in different shades??? Where do you get different colors at? Although, I guess you could dye it yourself. We used it last year to make my sons halloween costume. he was a scarecrow monster thing. But I LOVE all thses ideas!!

3. C. Shelton says:

I've always liked the look of burlap. long before I was even aware of the " green " concept. I've tried to use it , not only for the asthetic , but also for the economics of it.

4. Kayla@HGTV says:

Burlap is such an awesome material to use, especially for weddings. Its natural look and feel is what I love.

5. eclectic! says:

I love the use of rustic everyday materials repurposed as something else. Even though the burlap trend has been around for a while, I never get sick of seeing it used in unexpected ways. Its such a lovely, underappreciated fabric that is finally getting some love!

6. rach says:

I've always wondered how to ink them? (stamps, etc)

7. Kori Clark says:

I love the heavy texture of burlap…it brings such an earthy feeling to anything you add it to!

8. [...] my lovely readers! I am in the middle of moving as we “speak”, but I wanted to share my latest post for HGTV with you! Do you love burlap as much as I do? Check out these fun ideas on how to incorporate this [...]

9. Mika Webb says:

This would be a greeat idea to reinforce a cardoard box, and use the burlap to cover it, for a low cost & stylish toy bin for the lving room (toys always wander into there…). This may just be an upcoming evening project!

10. Angi says:

I used burlap a lot on my scrapbook layouts. It's a fun way to add texture to my pages. :)