I love the burlap trend that I am seeing grace parties and weddings everywhere. Think beyond potato sacks and get creative! There are so many ways you can use burlap for your next gathering, whether it’s a dinner party, wine tasting, children’s party or wedding. The natural color and texture add charm to any setting. Plus, burlap is biodegradable and inexpensive.

There are a wide range of products now available for home decorating and entertaining made of burlap. Why not use a burlap runner for your dining table. This printed one is gorgeous. A simple, plain one would be great too, because you could use it everyday or for a variety of events. These embellished votive holders are simple and darling. And present your utensils beautifully in a basket dressed up with a burlap liner.

sources :: burlap table runner, votives, basket liner

When I spotted this burlap wine carrier on Etsy, I knew I had to share. I wouldn’t mind carrying this into a party at all. It’s so stylish and functional!

source :: wine carrier

What to wear? If I’m hosting a gathering, I always like to coordinate with the party. While burlap might be a bit uncomfortable to wear, linen is a great alternative that keeps with the style. These espadrilles are on my list for sure, and this dress looks cute and comfortable.

sources :: shoes, dress

I’ve come across so many exquisite weddings that feature this natural fabric. In the right setting, burlap gives rustic weddings a dose of charm. Burlap is commonly used to create bunting for wedding and party decorations. This customized monogrammed version is adorable. The wrapped monogrammed vases would make lovely centerpieces.

sources :: monogram and pennant banner, vases

For you crafty types, burlap can be purchased by the yard or as ribbon. Think of the possibilities! I love these placecard/favor boxes dressed up with burlap flowers. And the “love” favor bags would be perfect for a shower or wedding.

sources :: burlap ribbonplacecard/favor box idea, favor bags

I recently created several projects for HGTV using burlap. In case you missed them, you can learn to make a knotted burlap wreath and how to dress up a burlap pillow cover. Perfect for the holidays and everyday entertaining.

Have you ever used burlap for an event or home decorating? How did you use it?

Tell me in the comments below.

1. Charity says:

I love burlap, as well! Unfortunately, I can't use it anywhere near my husband, he's allergic to it! We found out the hard way; my burlap dreams were crushed!

2. Gwen says:

My friend made 150 burlap bags for welcome bags at my daughter's wedding. I wish I could post a pic here, they were adorable. We used wood rounds from Etsy that we stamped with the wedding logo (also from Etsy) as tags.

3. Vicki says:

So glad to see so many people loving burlap. When I mention it as a design choice most people look at me like I am crazy!! Have you seen the gorgeous crewel embriodered burlap pillows and window panels on Ballard Designs website? What a great combination of a more formal traditional element with an unexpected and down to earth fabric. Check it out. [I don't work for Ballard, I just got an advertising email yesterday that drove me to their website. :) ]

4. Beverly says:

I use burlap for rug hooking!

5. Cheryl says:

I once tried to get wallpaper off a drywall that had not been sealed, and it ruined the drywall, so I covered the whole mess with burlap. However, it began to sag, after absorbing moisture in the room, and then it looked awful. I think now that the whole thing should have been dipped in paste first. Anyone else tried it on a wall?

6. Linda says:

After seeing this, I'm am going to upholster my wine bar walls with burlap. . . mind make up .

7. SouthernDecorator says:

I live in a log cabin. Our curtains in our eating area and family room (which are open to each other) are cream burlap. Perfect for not needing a lot of privacy (we live in the woods), goes with the setting of the house, perfect for sometimes-active cats, and very inexpensive (I purchase material at Wal-Mart).

8. Wendy says:

I recently hosted a Choir Round-Up for our church. Not having any round-up or western- themed items around my house I decided to make some decorations for the party. I had burlap that I ended up turning into table cloths (rough cut with frayed edges) with some red bandanas sewn together into runners and round table toppers. The combination looked awesome and very western, plus it was extremely inexpensive.

9. Donna says:

I used Shalimar burlap (tightly woven, cleaned, and sanitized) to make table runners. I fringed the runners by pulling out the strings to make approximately 1/4 inch of fringe all the way around, then stitched it all the way around to prevent further unraveling. Got the idea from fringed "jute" runners being sold at Pottery Barn. I found out jute is the same as burlap. You might be able to use Fray-check if you don't sew. I did one in the natural color and one in the bleached, but Shalimar is available in many colors.

10. LaVon says:

I used burlap for a 30×30 painting. First glued THE BURLAP around heavy cardboard, then spray painted it bronze. I then created a huge maple leaf using puff paint for texture of leaf veins etc.and painted the inside of the maple leaf fall colors of bronze, red, green, brown and orange. Topped all with outdoor varIthan. I had it framed in bronze and black. Hangs in the cabin. AWESOME!