This project is definitely one of my favorites! Rob and I have two sets of twins, so we could totally relate to designing for triplets. One small Manhattan bedroom for three growing children forced us to get creative with how to lay out the space.

Home by Novogratz

Three kids means three beds. Space is going to be tight when you live in Manhattan, so we knew that we had to get one of the beds off the floor to maximize the room. We played around with different ways to do this, even toying with the idea of triple bunk beds. We ultimately ended up a custom design with one bed lofted and the two other beds sticking out perpendicular underneath.

Designing a room for both boys and girls is definitely tough, so it’s always good to mix it up with fun, bold colors that appeal to them both. The wall covered in decal dots, the comforters and the throw pillows make the room work for all three kids.

Home by Novogratz

You’ve probably seen some of our custom photography wallpaper in other episodes of Home by Novogratz. For this project we went big! We chose our favorite photograph of all three kids shot by fashion photographer Tim Geaney, blew it up to a huge scale and printed on canvas wallpaper. (The kids loved posing for Tim.) The result is bold and very cute. Because this is a rental apartment, we couldn’t do anything to the concrete ceiling. Since we really wanted to hang these amazing, colorful bungee cord lights, we came up with the idea of building out a soffit to house the electrical wires. Using shatter resistant light bulbs makes it extra safe.

1. HMB says:

The hightlight and only hightlight of this room was the wall mural. The rest was not of a designer caliber in my opinion. I have seen a few episodes of The Novograzts and like Decorate4u, I found their talent to be less then what I thought HGTV's level of expectation would be.

2. Jennifer says:

My complaint about this room is how long are those kids going to want to look at their 3 year old selves on the wall. I'm pretty sure that in 2 or 3 years they are going to ask to change that. Maybe if you're rich enough, you don't think twice about redecorating every 2 years but most of us need our rooms, even our kid's rooms to be relevant longer than that.

3. Maggie says:

I am soooo totally unimpressed by the designs I've seen the Novogratzes come up with. Why are they on HGTV? What are their credentials other than lots of kids? You started out with such inspired and inspiring designers and now we're down to David, the two ditzy women and this couple. It still beats network TV and when I get a bellyful of politics and bad news, it beats the cable news networks. However, my patience is waning.

4. Nana Lynn says:

The polka dots are cute. but get rid of the pink. Boys do not like pink, but girls do like blue. Love the colors of the bedding. not to girlish or to boyish. I have 12 grandkids ranging from 10 mo to 20 years. 9 girls and 3 boys. I went with a beach theme and they all relate, they love the blues and greens, flip flops and sea creatures ( but not cartoonish) ones. It is hard when you are dealing with the two sexes and so much of a age range I go with nature themes as you can not go wrong, we all are part of the nature around us. man, woman, boy, girl, and infant. It is harder than one thinks. nanalyn

5. HMB says:

hey, where is my comment which I posted 4 hours ago or more.?

6. jane says:

Cortney, love your show, but it's pronounced "pillow"–not "pellow." Just had to get that off my chest.

7. Linda says:

If all these people who criticize this couple were such hot decorators they would have their own shows! Come on–what ever happened to teaching your children anything–like not to hang off their lights etc!! If more parents spent more time with their children they wouldn't have to be using their bedrooms for "activity centers" and would enjoy what this talented couple has done! Good job-very unique!!

• summer says:

Really? I see a small room with zero imagination other than the wallpaper. People are entitled to their opinion and they are not wrong. These folks are very overrated, I don't get it.

8. Mimi says:

From what we've seen so far, it looks like the Novogratzs have their kids do the designing for them. Take a look at their Summer House episode with all the random application of yellow over the filthy, rotten exterior. Spray painting a garden gnome– wow. I'm not sure what looks more ridiculous, their design aesthetic or Robert's truly tragic habit of dressing/styling his hair like he thinks he's 30 years younger than he is. Skinny hipster jeans on a paunchy middle aged man– not cute.

9. Tiff says:

I just LOVE the wall mural! Where can I purchase this for my home! Thanks for the ideas….

10. carlie11 says:

Novogratz's consistently appear to leave out steps that those competing on Design Star would be faulted for. Why not paint the unpainted wood on the furniture? The opportunities for climbing and accidents from climbing in this kids bedroom are too abundant. I do like the wallpaper. I am not a fan of the Novogratz's but watch hoping that they will finally make a project look complete. As an aside, I wish they would both look a little more put together, busy lives I understand, but they are before a camera and a little effort goes a long way.