Every month, I set aside an afternoon to enjoy a cup of tea and leisurely leaf through my favorite shelter magazines. (I can’t wait until HGTV Magazine comes out in a few weeks!) It’s part pleasure and part required reading for my line of work so I keep up on the latest in the design world. The August issue of one of my favorite glossies, Living Etc. from the UK, features a cool design trend — laser-cut home decor. I absolutely had to explore it for myself, and after a little online digging, I found that more and more designers are using this cutting-edge technique to create gorgeous patterned furnishings and lightweight home accessories.

Pieces like these Vale Dining Chairs showcase how beautiful cut metal can be. The chairs have the feel of a Louis Ghost Armchair. The laser-cut metal detailing on the back, which is reflected in the lacquer wood seat, is a showstopper.

Brocade Home’s Laser Cut Rug takes a lovely wool blend felt and elevates it with a striking pattern. This type of decor is designed for a singular purpose … to make a statement.

This bright red Mediterraneo Fruit Bowl by Alessi shows how lasers can transform stainless steel into something light and otherworldly. The metal has been shaped into a bright, colorful and imaginative form.

Erich Ginder - Mansion Chandelier

Erich Ginder’s Mansion Chandelier, a lighting piece like no other, incorporates laser cut aluminum with glass and stainless steel aircraft cable for a magnificent design.

And last, but surely not least, one of my favorite laser-cut pieces is this Coral Bench. Powder-coated in a variety of fresh and modern colors, this bench by Arktura is the perfect example of nature-inspired design meets modern-day technology. The coral pattern is created using  an algorithm and then cut into bent steel to produce a piece that truly is a cut above the rest. And they can work indoors or outside.

Have you come across any cool laser-cut furnishings?

Tell me about them in the comments below.

1. Briana@HGTV says:

That chair is so striking. The glossy finish and intricate shape are very dramatic!

2. Kayla@HGTV says:

I really enjoy simplistic decor. But seemingly simplistic decor marked with stunning detail – oh la la.

3. Lisa says:

All of the designs shown are beautiful. Definately love the colors and depth shown in the pieces.

4. nancy says:

WOW! What a great idea to create custome items for one's home! Colors are wonderful – thank you.

5. Sharleen says:

I want that bench. Where can I get one?<3

6. thedesignduoblog says:

Laser cut decor and furniture are a minimalistic way to add some flare to a contemporary designed home. Depending on the chosen color palette it can feel so hip but yet so classic. For more design tips and DIY projects visit thedesignduoblog.com.

7. tina says:

I really enjoy look at all decor.colors are very wonderful and bright I watcher the show ever day .

8. steel fabrication says:

Laser cutting is a technology that uses a laser to cut materials, and is typically used for industrial manufacturing applications, but is also starting to be used by schools, small businesses and hobbyists. Laser cutting works by directing the output of a high-power laser, by computer, at the material to be cut. The material then either melts, burns, vaporizes away, or is blown away by a jet of gas leaving an edge with a high-quality surface finish. Industrial laser cutters are used to cut flat-sheet material as well as structural and piping materials. You used this technique properly and design beautiful designs. This is really appreciated.
    steel fabrication