Through the process of researching our September Color of the Month and compiling inspiring interiors and decor in this shade, I came across some pretty interesting online debates that verged on hostile. Apparently, defining this color can stir up some heat. Surprising for such a peaceful color. (You’d think we’d picked fire engine red.) Is it possible that a greater internal struggle surfaces not when asking “To be or not to be” but rather…

…what is the difference between “indigo” and “navy”? And which blue is a true indigo blue? Various shelter magazines and home decor stores have called all of these blues…indigo…

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blog

(clockwise) House Beautiful, Ralph Lauren Home, Real Simple, Elle Decor

Since indigo is such a contemplative color, here are a few quotes from members of our color team followed by our favorite indigo-infused designs…all for you to ponder.

Indigo is an intriguing alternative to black; this inky color calls forth fall and has a soothing, global style. Kelley Walters, Executive Editor

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blogWest Elm

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blogDiesel Home Collection by Moroso

Indigo is nautical navy’s sexy, mysterious cousin.Liz Gray, Senior Editor

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blog Designer Paola Navone’s Milan apartment via Interieurs

There is a spiritual quality to indigo that makes it so enticing. Anna Millman, Online Manager

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blogFrench by Design via Style Files

From me to you color of the month design blog indigoFrom Me To You :: Hudson Merchant House, NY

Indigo reminds me of brand new blue jeans on the first day of school, when the weather just starts to turn cooler. — Marianne Canada, HGTV Home Studio

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blogDesigner Tom Scheerer

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blogDesigner Bunny Williams

This shade of blue is so fresh that it makes me want to redo everything I have (even my wish-list items) in this color. Indigo feels very organic. I think of the natural dyes used all over the world and am nostalgic for ink-stained hands. I want more, more, more. — Lili Zarghami, Managing Editor

Indigo – Blue - HGTV Color of the Month – September 2011 – design blog

Anthropologie (left) + John Robshaw Textiles (right)

After reflecting on these indigo designs, will you decorate with this inky, mysterious, organic color?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Spence says:

Peaceful color! Great pics, but I have to say the heads on that shelf are a little creepy!:)

2. Susan says:

I have used all shades of blue for years, but it seemed to go out of style for a decade. I collect blue and white Chinese export porcelain and display it all over my house. I made lined draperies and a bedskirt from indigo and white toile that I still adore after 8 yrs. I'm so glad to see all shades of blue come back in style!

3. Sharry says:

I named Indigo (and Navy) the color of the month about 3 years ago :D Haven't looked back since!

4. Barb Shelton says:

Thumbs U[!!

5. Julie says:

Love It…….. Will you please come do my house………….It's a panelling nightmare..all of it!!

• Joleen says:

painted paneling can be beautiful, I have been to some homes that painted it white and you could not tell it had been paneling

• Designing.Woman.2005 says:

I agree that painting is a great solution if you don't care for the wood. You don't need to fill in – just prime and paint as-is. I like the texture. White isn't necessary either. Pick whatever color you would use if it was drywall or plaster.

6. Margaret Devine says:

Wow, I love Bunny Williams' kitchen with the indigo cabinets. It looks like denim. I figured if I redid my kitchen cabinets I would paint them white but I am just blown away with Bunny's design. Great job.

7. jane says:

We have indigo tile in our master bedroom shower. It was installed in 1983 when the house was new! It is still gorgeous. We also put laminate counter top in the kitchen that is a beautiful indigo blue… almost a dark marble look. We have enjoyed these indigo blue touches in our home whether they were "in style" or not! Glad to hear the color is now swinging toward the "in style" side!

8. Teresa H says:

Gosh I hope they share what colors Bunny Williams used in her kitchen design. GORGEOUS and I usually despise blue in kitchens.

9. swlonewolf says:

At first I thought "Indigo?! You've got to be kidding!" But as an accent color in the room I think it is very calm and classy. I love the combination of beige and indigo in Tom Scheerer's living room photo on the left. Beige always needs help. This deep blue is lovely. Thanks for some new ideas.

10. Verla Gardner says:

Indigo, yes a very intense color but one that relaxes a person. I have a quilt that was once a prop in Ashland, OR "garage sale". Talk about delighted to being able to purchase the quilt. Starting my erlier years in the country, I agree indgo can give elements of the country. It is a color worn by many in Japn.