Love reading your newspaper around the kitchen table at breakfast? How about reading your newspaper on the kitchen table at breakfast? That’s the idea that The New York Times Company’s R&D Lab is developing right now. You won’t believe this demo video!

It’s like having a giant touchscreen smartphone as your tabletop, plus some added slickness for this context, like the ability to share articles with other family members sitting at the table. The table even detects when items are placed on it, which leads to some cheeky advertising (like a Starbucks ad cleverly popping up underneath the bottom of your coffee mug).  Would you love a high-tech table like this? Or do you prefer your Kitchen Table Version 1.0?

1. Kitchen Cabinets says:

It is very special device to the kitchen table . now every thing like reading news paper and watching Video is so simple. Really nice video and like so much . It looking great. for <title>kitchen cabinets</title></head><body>

2. Jeane says:

and another NEW RUDE….. no one talks any more with out some device in there hands, new we will just eat and play…. I think I am either to old or just enjoy family????

3. John says:

Anna, props for the Bradbury reference! And a creepy one at that… And I agree that we already have enough conversation reducers in our lives; give me solid wood between me and my breakfast mates, please! ('Course, I'm a custom furniture maker, so I'm biased…)

4. Diane says:

I hate it. Families have too much media in the way as it is.

5. Eva says:

I love technology but I can't see this fitting into a typical kitchen setting in a home. For one thing, it would be hard to read and hard on the back unless you are standing up, Leaves little room for actually eating . One of those great novelty items that would soon loose its appeal. In a business setting it could be put to use.

6. Claudia says:

Horrible idea. Think of what it does to your digestive system?

7. Nelda says:

Not necessary. Call me old fashion but meals are family time.

8. candace says:

Wow what a horrible idea.Just listen to how it is being described and introduce — soulless. The kitchen is the soul of the house to nurture you with food to be healthy. Why would anyone want to take away from natural energy and time with your family to find out what they have experienced that day.

9. Chels says:

Yups, horrible! Pro Family!!!

10. [...] Daily Delight: The Kitchen Table of the Future [...]