On Monday’s episode of Design Star, the three remaining hopefuls were challenged to create a functional home — complete with a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area — all in a “tiny house” of less than 100 square feet. (See the designers’ finished homes here.) That got the team here at HGTV.com thinking: What would it be like to live in a house smaller than some people’s closets? After all, it’s a growing trend. Lili wrote a post about the micro-house movement back in February.

Exterior of Jay Shafer's Home and KitchenThe kitchen and exterior of Jay Shafer’s tiny house.  Photos courtesy of Tumbleweed Tiny House Company.

We asked Jay Shafer, who’s been living in a tiny house since 1997. He’s also the owner of the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, which builds several styles of ultra small-scale prefab homes (including the Box Bungalows used on Design Star.)

Want a peek inside his 100-square-foot home?

So, what qualifies as a tiny house? The term usually applies to homes that range anywhere from 65 to 500 square feet, though Shafer says he considers “any house where no square foot is being wasted” a tiny one. According to Shafer, one or two people could live comfortably in less than 100 square feet (yes, really), but for a family a better option is multiple tiny houses on the same lot.

For Shafer, the advantages to tiny homes are many, but a small environmental impact is at the top of the list.  “An average American household puts out 18 tons of greenhouses gases a year, while I use a fraction of that,” he says. Some companies, like Texas Tiny Houses, even make their mini-homes out of salvaged materials, further reducing the tiny environmental toll.

The homes also offer financial freedom: Once you pay for the initial cost of the home — anywhere from $12,000 to $90,000, depending on the style, size and company — you’re done. And if you want to shell out even less cash, most companies offer free or affordable plans to help you build your own tiny home. “You don’t have a mortgage, not to mention you’ll have lower utility costs,” says Shafer. “And it’s liberating not to have to spend time and money maintaining your home. It frees you up to do the things you really want to be doing.”

Box Bungalow Living Room
And for all your design lovers, living simply doesn’t mean living without style. In Jay Shafer’s living area, above, great design abounds. Check out the handmade tiles surrounding the tiny stove on the right.  And with less space, you literally only have room for things you can’t live without, so you won’t have the surface area to develop piles of papers or collect meaningless tchotchkes. Plus, you’ll be totally justified in saying, “Sorry, Mom, I just don’t have the space for that (insert name of gaudy item here).”

Missed the Tiny House episode of Design Star? Watch the full episode here >>

What do you think: Would you, could you live in a tiny house?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Sally says:

I predict retailers revolting against the tiny house movement. I love the concept-we've been seriously considering it. But, those that sell "stuff" won't be happy when so many people realize they don't need "stuff".

2. Man says:

Please quit showing tiny homes. Tiny home builder. House hunters. These people have serious issues and no responsibilities. I would love that too but I grew up. Get a life aholes.

3. marilyn tassler says:

Would be great in a warm climate where you could spend time outdoors but I live in S.D. and probably wouldn't work here up north.

4. rjp says:

If someone would like to live little mabey they should try driving a semi. Im in this thing 250 days a year. It's about 6ft x 6ft, 2 bunks. Travel time to work is the time from the front bunk to the driver's seat, and you get to pee and poop in a bucket.

5. Jackie says:

I would love to live in a tiny house. But I am 65 My husband is 80 . we just couldn't afford it. I can always dream

6. Jennifer says:

I always told my children, when they grow up & move out. Im gonna live in a small camper. But looking at this Cabin, I would take this Cabin, in a Heartbeat! Beautiful, love it!!!

7. carolyn mocl says:

The tiny houses are cute.for a kids play house.i think the ones with the bed upstairs are awful.the price is high.i can buy a home for that much.thr best one was with the deck.maybe little people.can do.csuse of size_

8. SUSIE2555 says:

that is my goal to retire in 5 years to my tiny house on 5 wooded acres that I own. Perfect for one and a couple cats. I love watching the show for new and different ideas.

9. gwalt says:

Use fabric – wrap the ends around yardsticks and tack them to the wall. I did this once with burlap and got a very cool look. You could also combine 3 plain colors in a row – I did this once to match a logo.

10. thatguy says:

11. that negative uy says:

are u crazy u freikin womin slu

12. uuuuuuuuuu says:

Liz GrayLiz is a senior editor at HGTV.com and an co-editor-in-chief for Design Happens. She lives in a midcentury tri-level that’s stuck in the ‘70s…for now. When she’s not working on...

See What We’re Pinning