I learned from an early age about the decorative power of a beautiful table lamp. Growing up in Atlanta, I visited many a home with a gorgeously appointed sitting room or parlor that exuded that quintessential Southern charm. My friend’s moms were lovely hostesses who always produced a glass filled with sweet tea or ice-cold Coca-Cola within minutes of a guest’s arrival. Conversation flowed effortlessly in these intimate spaces beautifully lit by a perfect set of table lamps. (I can practically feel my Southern accent coming back just remembering those times.) Listen y’all, we all know good lighting can make or break a room. And that a table lamp is one of the easiest ways to update the look of a space. Well, we’ve partnered with The Southern Home, a company that specializes in elegant home furnishings filled with Southern charm, to bring you that perfect burst of brightness and beauty for a room in your home.

HGTV design blog - Table Lamp from The Southern Home - Freebie Fridays(left to right) Botanical Garden :: Marianna :: Babcock

One Design Happens reader will get to choose a table lamp from the three lovelies pictured here: Botanical Garden, Marianna or Babcock. To enter for a chance to win, simply leave us a comment in the field below before 12/11c Monday, September 12.

This week’s question: Why do you love a beautiful table lamp? Are you all about mood lighting? Without the right table lamp, would you be at a loss for a favorite place to read a good book? Do you have a soft spot for lamps with curvaceous shades and intricate design details?

Click for official rules.

Freebies

1. Cathy says:

I love table lamps because they are what I refer to as "purposeful art". They allow me to inject style and beauty into a room while also serving a purpose.

2. erica best says:

i would use this on my night stand in my bed room i love the butterflies one it really cute.

3. Clare says:

A table lamp gives a warm glow to a room, whether it is placed for reading, or just for show.

4. @DIYandSAVE says:

I like table lamps because they shed indirect lighting onto the ceiling (for mood), give me reading light, and do these things without casting unflattering light on my face.

5. high spirit says:

I love the warmth and glow of a table lamp on a dark cool fall evening as you pass by someones house and wonder what kind of table lamp can show an invitition of love and safety.

6. Alaina says:

Table lamps (along with sheet sets) are one of my weird shopping addictions. Living in a very old house with poor overhead lighting means that I'm somewhat justified in buying, rearranging, and re-vamping lamps. And a great table lamp can turn a regular room into a cozy space; add a cup of tea and a good book and you've got all the ingredients for a wonderful afternoon.

7. Rita Haring says:

ALL THAREE LAMPS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND DIFFICULT TO DECEIDE WHICH IS NICER. WE LEAVE AT LEAST ON LAMP ON ALL NIGHT BECAUSE OF FAMILY MEMBERS COMING HOME AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE NIGHT. THE SHADOWS CAST ARE ROMANTIC.

8. Vicki says:

Lamps can set the entire mood of a room both from the light it gives off and as a decorative piece. I enjoy an eclectic mix of style and often change them around my home for an instant mini makeover.

9. 4Grammy says:

A beautiful lamp is like frosting on a cake; it makes the room more appealing and invites you in to sit, relax and read. I have never been able to find that perfect affordable lamp. The table lamps I have just sort of sit there without any spark. (No pun intended).

10. Samantha says:

I love table lamps because they are not overpoweringly bright, instead they make the room feel soft and warm. I love to use my table lamp and light candles, which can't be seen glowing with the overhead light on. This creates the perfect mood lighting. Marianna would look fantastic in my living room :)