Filming this episode was a blast, because let’s face it, who doesn’t love to throw a great party? We wanted to help out a friend by staging his townhouse that was on the market and bring in some potential buyers by throwing a real estate party.

minetta lane townhouse novogratz

The huge space had an incredibly bare feeling. We understood that it wasn’t selling because buyers just couldn’t picture how they would really live in the space. Our first order of business: to highlight the concrete floors and turn them into a great design element. With some black and white paint, we created an oversized checkerboard pattern that really added character and a sense of scale to the previously bland space. This was done by measuring out the checkered pattern, marking it with tape, and then painting away.

layering art novogratz

We took advantage of the very tall ceiling height, by hanging a cluster of chandeliers at different levels to create a focal point as you enter the space. The next part was a no-brainer: we brought in lots of great, colorful furniture and a rug to make it feel like a home. Finally, we layered the space, just like you would in your home, with great art, candles, and tons of flowers.

black and white checkered floor

Job done, we sent out the invites for the party, which was attended by brokers, press and potential buyers — a truly diverse group of fabulous New Yorkers.

1. pmccu2 says:

I just don't care for this show, sorry. Their designs look unprofessional and just thrown together.

2. Moonbeam says:

What a discombobulated mish-mash. Don't like it at all. Very amateur looking. And that hideous black and white floor! The checkerboard pattern wasn't bad, but at least three or four colors could have been used, and more subtle colors, too. While I like bright colors and high contrast, usually, this floor seems to override and clash with all the furniture. By contrast, Emily Henderson did large green horizontal stripes on the wall of a bedroom last night, but somehow everything she put against that wall or hung on that wall fit togther beautifully. I don't see anything in these photos that seems to fit well with anything else. Also, who puts crystal chandeliers with a stark and much more casual black and white floor? That's a room that would not feel welcoming to me — I'd feel like running back out the door screaming.

• Cosmo Mary says:

You are right. Seems like they go out of their way to put various items in one room that clash with each other. How they call theirselves designers, I don't know.

3. Moonbeam says:

I do like the recessed area with the large green tree artwork and the green chairs in front of it and the silver piece on the floor. However, not only does the style of chandelier hanging above it not fit well, but it's hung so low that it hides part of the artwork. I agree chandeliers should not hang so high as to disappear, but hanging this one a few inches higher so as not to block the art piece (one of the few things I like about the room) would have been a good idea.

4. Becky in 'Bama says:

I loved the Novogratz's when they had a show (on a different network) about designing their OWN
    home(s) and how they moved from place to place in NYC trying to start their business. However, this new format has a very narrow appeal to a limited audience. Way too Bo-Ho chic for the average viewer (on a budget). They seem to think nothing of paying $1000-plus for stuff most of us in the 'burbs' would consider someone's garage sale cast-offs. And I do wish Mr. Novo. would stop the constant mugging for the camera (we all know he has a very deep left dimple).

5. Moonbeam says:

@Becky in 'Bama: Very well stated in your comment above! I have tried to hard to like this show, but am usually left with the impression of an incohesive and incomplete space and maybe only one or two items I like out of the whole design. I never saw the Novogratz' show on the other channel, but the general consensus from what I've read on HGTV's blogs is that it was much better than this one. Loved your comment about "garage sale cast-offs." In a city as large as NYC or here in LA, one can usually find great used things with lots of character for sale at yard sales or online locally, which can be picked up or easily delivered, without paying ridiculous prices from a dealer for stuff that just looks junky.

6. Becky in 'Bama says:

Thanks for the kind words, Moonbeam. I keep watching the Novogratz's program hoping for an up-turn in the format, but, so far, nada. One last comment: just how many 'famous' artists do these people know in NYC? (not sure what qualifies some of these jokers as great artists, either). ;0)

7. Moonbeam says:

@Becky: Good point about the artists. I wonder if they have some special "arrangements" to promote certain artists' work. I did like the glitter artist idea last week, but not in that particular recessed space. Would have rather have seen trompe l'oeil wallpaper to give that space a 3D look, or perhaps even put a live tree in there, with LED lights for the party. That glitter art tree would look better on a regular and not a recesssed wall — a good image and size for that space, but it looks too "flat" and dull there. So, it looks as if we both agree with Cosmo Mary (above). BTW: are you in Alabama? I used to live in Mobile.

8. Moonbeam says:

Becky, looks like we both agree with Cosmo Mary in the post above. And good observation you made about the artists. I'm wondering if there is a financial arrangement of some kind with certain artists. I would have used a mural where the glitter tree was because, while I like the design, colors and scale of that large vertical tree art piece, I think it belongs on a regular wall and not a recessed wall. Looked flat to me where they put it. I might even have put a real tree there, or perhaps a trompe l'oeil 3D mural. That art piece they chose for the triplets' bedroom in a recent past episode was another example of a poorly chosen, over-priced and possibly even dangerous piece for a child's bedroom. The colors worked well, but I got the feeling they kind of forced it on the clients and the audience. I would not put anything with heavy glass above a child's head. That was also another episode where they hung lights in a way that partially obscured the mural wall of the children's photos.

9. WENDY D. says:

THESE TWO ARE THE WORST DESIGNERS I'VE EVER SEEN ON TV. I CAN'T BELIEVE HGTV GAME THEM THEIR OWN SHOW. THEY SUCK. EVERY DESIGN I'VE SEEN THEM DO LOOKS LIKE THEY SPENT LESS THAN $300 BUCKS. PULL THE PLUG ON THIS SHOW-WHERE'S MYLES OF STYLE. I MISS KIM!!!!

• Moonbeam says:

Thank you! Totally agree. Where is Myles of Style, which was so innovative, and why are we left to watch this mess week after week? I keep hoping it will improve, that maybe I'm simply missing something, but no. They don't seem to ever improve. And for people who know so many artists, why do they not seem to know any hair stylists??? I miss Kim, too!!!

10. CherylM. says:

These "designers" and I use that term very loosely … are hideous. They spend absurd amounts for some of the most horrendous looking JUNK and then call it art. CANCEL this show, it has got to be the worst on the network. Everything comes out looking like it's just been thrown together….not designed. Furthermore, These two look so unkempt themselves and seem to be completely unprofessional. I wouldn't let them "design" my dog's house.

• Moonbeam says:

Did you see the episode where they decorated their own backyard for a party when the outside of the house looked dirty and like it needed power washing first?

Oh well, I guess I should thank them in a way, because every time I watch them try to decorate, I'm reminded of how much talent I actually have. (And yet I still don't feel qualified enough to take on paying clients, much less go on television!)