Did you catch Anna’s Color of the Month post for September? Your response to indigo was really positive. Readers called it calming, pretty, lovely, organic and many more flattering adjectives. Indigo falls somewhere between blue and violet and is named after a dye used in India and other countries around the world. When it comes to entertaining with indigo, finding inspiration gets quite a bit harder. I have personally never used this color for a party, but after my research, I think it would be beautiful for a dinner party or wedding.

sources :: plate, placemat, coasters, tea towel

What I did find, was that you often see gorgeous intricate patterns paired with items of this color, as seen above in the plate and tea towel.

While searching Etsy, I spotted a few handmade paper items including a heart garland, journal and gift tags. Aren’t they gorgeous?

sources: flower pinhair clips, clutch, dress

Finding hostess clothing and accessory inspiration in indigo wasn’t difficult. A fresh pair of jeans would fit right in, too.

Have you ever incorporated indigo into a party or event? I would love to see how it turned out!

Tell me in the comments below.

Entertaining, Handmade

1. Briana@HGTV says:

That heart garland is so cool! I may have to snag some for anniversaries and Valentine's Day festivities.

2. Love Indigo. Can be deep rich, luxurious, and playful mixed with nautical. Great post

3. Loving those flower pins! Adorable!

4. [...] Visit my post on HGTV and let me know! Share and Enjoy: Filed Under: hgtv, party styling About KimKim Stoegbauer, Party Stylist/Editor of The TomKat Studio. Her work and products have been featured on HGTV.com, MarthaStewart.com, Celebrate Magazine, Parenting Magazine & more. Kim is a contributing writer for HGTV, HomeGoods & Project Nursery. Next PostPrevious PostHome. [...]

5. [...] With the Color of the Month: Party Blues HGTV Design Happens Tue, September 20, 2011 6:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share this story [...]

6. jen says:

I heart dark shades of blue! They are so hard to use though! Thanks for your tips. Love the flowers!
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

7. CplusE says:

We have a set of Asian-themed dishware with a dragon pattern in white and shades of blue, including indigo, and a couple of special salad plates with a dragonfly pattern in indigo on white. We also have a lot of indigo and white napkins that my husband has collected from various places over the years — he loves the color! In fact, we just used a set last week when we had dinner guests. I like to mix brown with indigo and white — I've used square dark brown wooden bead placemats with the dragon dishware, the indigo and white napkins, and silver flatware and napkin rings. Very simple, but very attractive.

8. Lindsay says:

Hmmmmm…I LOVE the flower pin on the pea coat!!! ;) Love this post Kim! XOXO

9. Jamie says:

We incorporated indigo blue into my mother's wedding. We used large blue globe lanterns hung from the ceiling, the brides maids dresses, and white flowerpails with custom blue numbering on them to bring in the color along with other little accents and all stationary. My set off inspiration was an invitation/ stationary set that we found on Vista print.

10. Daniela says: