This week we worked on an apartment in Hoboken, New Jersey for two young guys in their first “real” apartment after college. We wanted to give them something both youthful and sophisticated.

novogratz in hoboken bachelor pad

The apartment was pretty much a blank slate before we got our hands on it. The first thing we did was go wild with paint. Paint offers so many amazing alternatives—let your imagination be your guide! For a playful twist, we decided to paint diagonal stripes in Casa Blue and Surfboard Yellow from our new paint line with Stark. Next, we decided to lacquer the piano in high gloss white to make it really pop against the stripes, hung colorful lights and vintage sign letters to spell out LUNCH on their kitchen wall. This seemed like an appropriate word for two boys!

hoboken living room

Michael DeFeo, a super-talented artist, created some really fun paintings of different animals. Overall, we really made a bold statement in this place by playing with paint in unexpected ways.

hoboken striped walls and piano

1. Val B says:

I don't like the flat couch that already had to have a pad of carpet to make it so -so. But the paint was great and the piano was cool,the artist rocked. I loved the bar ! My son would love to crash there too so it was a well done place.

2. NANCY says:

P.S. are those coffee tables for hobbits?

3. Katelyn says:

I would love to know what all their kids are named, seems like they have unusual names. I think Robert's choice of the bar was awesome! I also liked the large dining table and chairs and the green lighting. I liked the paint color after the artist's art was hung up,then it was awesome!

4. kmw63 says:

This was the first time I watched the show. Yes it will be my last. I had to come online to see if it was just this one design that was so bad or what. Apparently not! These rooms looked like the before, not after! Does the word scale mean nothing? Candace Olsen must be having a heart attack. Come on HGTV, seriously!

5. jeff says:

this was the worst decor ever styrafoam animal head you need to go home and take care of your kids

6. val says:

Once again, weird furniture selection. that couches look incredibly cheap. $1,200? R u kidding me? On top of that are sad pillows. The way the pillows are presented is awful? Don't they understand the so called "designer touch"? Look at how they stack the pillows together….just awful like the model beds on previous episode.

The lamp was cool but too small. These people don't understand scale and proportion, just like their past episodes. Color choice ….baby blue for bachelors? What an idiot idea!!! The bar = tacky and doesn't with cool modern stools.

I have enough with them. Holy jesus.

7. JasonB says:

Hey, did anybody catch the name of shop were they got the couch, looked like great source for mid-cenurt mod items.

8. NANCY says:

This show, Hoboken Bachelor Pad illustrates the horrible designs these two untrained people come up with. This apartment looks awful. Looks like a college student decorated it & that's not good! Also, BABY BLUE again! Horrible color choice. The Novogratz's are the king & queen of TACKY! Please do us all a favor and take them off HGTV. Their bad taste is intolerable. Seriously that apartment looked much better before they thought they redecorated it. Also, they look bad as hosts. Mrs. N. has awful hair & needs someone to make her over. Mr. N. always looks sloppy as well. It feels like middle aged hippies who think they can decorate made into a show. Please don't renew their contract. There are too many good shows on HGTV to watch this trash.

• tvwatcher says:

ouch

• Nina says:

I agree!! Watching this episode made me angry – it was a waste of my valuable t.v. time. There was nothing attractive about this room or any of the other designs created by this couple. Nothing against them personally, but the show has got to go!

• Laura says:

I agree! I thought it was completely disgusting! Who would want Lunch written on their wall! I'm only 26, so I'm in the age range they were designing for and I don't think there was one thing I liked. The animals pictures were gross. I hated it and Mr. N is extremely annoying and gross! They need to get rid of them on HGTV!

• Mindy Saunders says:

I totally agree with you. Cortney's voice is so whiney and they seem to have one design they use over and over. They use blown up photos and lights of multiple heights in almost all their "designs. They are big at self promotion and I bet they came to HGTV and pitched the show. They need to go bye bye!

• amy says:

agree!!!! most annoying couple and worst design ever! Please HGTV take this off.

9. tvwatcher says:

whats the name of the theme song for this show… is it a real song?

10. no.more.eyesores says:

I agree with so many of these posts about these horrific rooms these people " create"!!!!! What is HGTV thinking? What a waste of network time! I keep giving the show a chance, hoping to see anything redeeming in their choices, but it all looks like garbage! Next time this show comes on, I will switch channels to avoid getting sick! It all clashes in color & scale, it all looks as if they went around the neighborhood picking up free stuff which people left out for trash pick up! Please take this atrocity off the air!

• Moonbeam says:

That's exactly right — it reminds me of a young couple I once knew who were forced to put their home together by donated odds and ends furnishings from family and friends. I just don't understand how they have a show. And HGTV doesn't seem to be listening to us — it just ordered 13 new episodes of this show for 2012. Unbelievable!