If you can’t already tell, I am a designer who loves modern style.  I absolutely love modern interiors and decor, but one thing I don’t like is a modern home without soul. Even the most modern homes need pieces that will soften the space, make it feel warm and lived in.

Aphrochic: My Report from Maison et Objet in Paris

One way to do this is to bring in something not-so-modern, like vintage textiles. Today, whether you’re shopping at Pottery Barn or an indie shop, special collections of vintage textiles are popping up everywhere. It’s all about that lived global experience that people are desiring – pieces that tell the story of where you’ve been, and even where you’re dreaming of going. Here are some absolutely beautiful ways to bring the vintage textiles trend home.

On a Design Sponge house tour, homeowner Paige Morse hung a vintage embroidered wedding cloth as a piece of art in her home. It’s such a lovely way to bring in color, pattern and warmth.

You can find beautiful vintage cloth like the one Paige has by sourcing antique quilts. This collection was featured in Country Living. Scouring flea markets can help you discover remnants of quilts, ticking, and fabric that you can turn into your own work of art.

There are also some fantastic online boutiques that offer one-of-a-kind vintage textiles. Check out Mela & Roam. I discovered this online store while roaming the net, and completely fell in love with this Vintage Kantha Throw. The colors are just amazing.

Vintage textile pieces, like pillows, can be mixed and matched to bring color and pattern home. In this child’s bedroom featured in Domino the mix of vintage textiles really make the space.

At Pottery Barn, Kantha-inspired pillows covers can be found. Mixing a few patterns together can create a global look.

My favorite way to bring vintage pieces home is through rugs. I absolutely love this image from Domino that showcases the idea of layering vintage rugs. You can put together rugs that have been discovered over time, creating a warm and cozy vibe.

ABC Carpet & Home is the perfect resource for vintage and antique rugs. Their vintage rugs are so distinctive with unique colors and patterns, making these pieces more than just rugs, but works of art.

Do you have any vintage textiles that you’ve been collecting over the years? How do you use them in your home? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments section below.

Design Inspiration

1. [...] original here: Design Trend: Vintage Textiles « Design Happens هذه التدوينة كُتبت ضمن التصنيف غير مصنف. الأوسمة: hgtv, [...]

2. [...] Woman. Design Trend: Vintage Textiles HGTV Design Happens Mon, October 24, 2011 3:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share this story (function(){var [...]

3. CplusE says:

Believe it or not, my husband is the one who loves to collect textiles! He went through a Guatemalan phase, including molas (google "Guatemalan textiles" and you will be amazed at the colorful images that pop up!) and also a period where he couldn't seem to buy enough indigo-and-white Japanese fabrics! We only have room to display a tiny fraction of the pieces he has collected over the years — we always joke that he should open his own museum!

• Miranda Logan says:

Ever think about recycling? You could put the stuff that's out away and use some others that you have.

• Jeanine Hays says:

Wouldn't that be amazing? You may also think of an etsy shop too! If he has a great collection, he may want to start a shop where he can sell to others who want to source these kinds of textiles.

4. pam keeling says:

I recovered a chair that was in my family home for years it was my mothers chair that she always sat in, I saved the fabric off this chair thank you for this Idea now i know what to do with it. I can make a pillow or even frame pieces of the fabric and share with my children.

• Jeanine Hays says:

You are welcome Pam. I'm so glad this post inspired you to use that saved fabric. It will fast become a family heirloom piece with such special meaning for your kids.

5. becky holcomb says:

I make pillows out of old and new fabrics and other items such as buttons, doilies, tea towels. The coolest are the feed/seed sacks and old money bags. Look on Etsy under Minnmosaics for some of them. I love the aspect of repurposing and recycling. There are treasures all around us.

6. Janey says:

I am in the process of recovering a slipper rocking chair that has been in my family since the 50's. I am doing it in a vintage cutter quilt that I bought at a flea market for $20.

• Jeanine Hays says:

Oh wow. That is so cool! I absolutely love hearing how people are repurposing these vintage textiles. I'm sure your chair is going to look fabulous!

7. pete shandera says:

I found a lot of these fabrics at Ethnic Arts in Berkeley, California.

8. Laura says:

I absolutely love vintage textiles…I have an embarassingly large collection of vintage kantha quilts , Bolivian blankets and Awayos, Turkish and Moroccan kilms, Suzanis, Rabari shawls, Banjara wall hangings…it goes on.
    I love them all with a passion. Their vivid jewel tones and homespun textures never fail to cheer me up.
    I do have a little shop on etsy, but more often than not I regret selling pieces.

After all, they are hand made, one of a kind, never to be repeated works of art…and money is just money… too often Ive sold something thinking that I really should stop hoarding, and how useful the money will be, only to sell it, use the money on a bill or something…and the treasure is gone for good.

Now im holding on to my best stuff, occasionally (very occasionally,lol) giving pieces to dear friends or family members that I know will love them as I do.

9. Courtney says:

Hi Jeanine, I just found this post featuring my Kantha throw and I'm so excited to be featured next to some fabulous textiles! Thank you so, so much and you should check out the site now…just received a new shipment and the colors are serious eye candy. All the best,
    Courtney
    <a href="http://www.melaandroam.com” target=”_blank”>www.melaandroam.com

10. jaysales says:

Dear Sir/ Madam,
    Hi…
    We are proud to share with you that we are one of the leading reliable Exporter and Indian supplier of vintage kantha stitch articles i.e. Silk Scarfs (Reversible with double Layer ) and THROWS/ QUILTS/ Cushion Covers/ Pillows/ Bags etc.
    We believe that this post will reach you in good perfect state of mind and good healthy. How is your day? Sorry for the disturbance actually we were browsing through the Internet when we came across your Blogs which made us to pick interest to writ you in respect of establishing new relationship with you.

However it would be a great pleasure to have your acceptance and to see if we could make it success in building one good business relationship.

Pls note the link to know more about our products http://jaysalescorporationofindia.weebly.com/

Pls Note:
    1. No MOQ Required.
    2. All over world shipment
    3. Payment: TT advance/ LC at Sight.
    4. Ship Method : By AIR or SEA.

Thanks with best Regards.

Mahesh
    M/s. Jay Sales Corporation
    Plot No. 1, Shivesh Vihar,
    Gandhi Path, Vashali Nagar
    Jaipur-302005 (Raj.)
    India
    Mob: +91 9928772914
    Email : jaysalescorporationofindia@gmail.com
    Web Site: <a href="http://www.jaysalescorporationofindia.weebly.com” target=”_blank”>www.jaysalescorporationofindia.weebly.com