By now, most parts of the country have traded the sun-filled days of summer for a crisper fall clime but the warming presence of the sun is still evident in our selection of this month’s color. From the runway to the changing leaves outside your window, this happy hue is popping up everywhere. It’s such a natural choice that it won by a (nearly) unanimous vote. Wanna know what it is?

Marigold!

“This color is so delicious…literally. It makes me think of roasted butternut squash, creamy carrot soup, and mugs of hot mulled cider. Gorgeous to look at and good to eat? Yes, please.” —Marianne Canada, HGTV Home Studio

marigold color of the month1. House Beautiful  2. Painting: etsy/pinkpainter

“The fall landscape may turn marigold just as the leaves are dying, but a color so vibrant always makes me think about life and energy, not decay. It’s like mustard’s younger, happier and prettier sister.” —Briana Mowrey, Senior Online Editor

marigold color of the month1. Trendland / Lisa Candela: Colors of Mexico 2. Photo by James Merrell

“Marigold is the perfect hue for fall. Whether paired with black, gray or other hot colors like teal or plum, it can work well as a bold background or as a subtle accent color through throw pillows and accessories. Its rich, orange undertone adds instant warmth to a space and will help lead us into the cooler months of winter.” —Kayla Kitts, Assistant Editor

marigold color of the month1: Knit Hat: etsy/mojospastyle  2: Angie Hranowsky Design Studio

“Whether it’s because it’s just the right time of year or endless other reasons, marigold is catching my eye every place I look.  It works beautifully with harvest and autumnal accessories this season and eases us into cooler temperatures with its warmth. I think marigold” —Emily Morrow, Shaw Floors Director of Color Style & Design

marigold color of the month1. Bedroom by Phoebe Howard 2. Pillow: etsy/thehomecentric

“Marigold is at once fresh and traditional – its warm tones are reminiscent of the fall sunlight that’s waning way too fast, but it’s welcome alternative to November’s traditional orange. It reminds me of bi-colored mums and goldenrod and pairs just as well with juicy jewel tones as it does with rich slate grays. Whether you add a bold teapot or a marigold-hued statement chair, this color is bound to improve your mood. And we might just be ahead of the curve on this one – there was chatter at last week’s High Point Market that yellow is the next “it” color.” —Liz Gray, Senior Online Editor

Now, we want to hear from you. What do you think of our color choice this month and how will you incorporate it into your home’s fall decor or Thanksgiving entertaining plans?

Tell us in the comments below.

1. Daniel MacGregor says:

Marigold is a great color. I use it in my abstracts and cityscape paintings.

Daniel MacGregor
    dmstudios.etsy.com

2. Kayla@HGTV says:

Yay! Marigold is so stunning. To me it just screams fall. (My golden beauty finally won ^_^)

3. deer says:

To be honest, I'm so sick of yellow-y colors that even a used to be favorite color (marigold) makes me want to GAG! Give me some deep jewel tones: HUNTER GREENS, TRUE REDS, HUNTER GREENS, ROYAL BLUES, HUNTER GREENS, (am I making a point here?). Yellow is an accent color for me, not an "it" color because I, like many people, don't have the complexion to wear it.

4. I painted my floor marigold, so I am obviously a fan! And @deer, I look horrid in marigold, too. Using it in my home is a way for me to enjoy it without wearing it. ___ <a href="http://_http://spaghettiarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/walkin-on-sunshine.html______” target=”_blank”>_http://spaghettiarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/walkin-on-sunshine.html______

5. [...] Warms Chilly Fall Days – November 2011 HGTV Design Happens Wed, November 2, 2011 6:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share this story (function(){var [...]

6. Maureen Johan says:

Love it.

7. johna says:

i love it!!

8. Gina says:

Wow, on the sofa it looks great! Not really fond of it on a wall, but used as an accent it feels just right.
    I used to have pale yellow walls in my old home and it got boring after a while, but I like to change things around from time to time anyway! Go Marigold!

9. Gwen says:

I like the first one only with the purple chair, very nice :)

10. Teresa says:

Marigold is not just a fall color, to me it says spring and summer too. But more than that when winter is upon us and the skies are grey it will brighten even the gloomiest days. I'm painting my dining room and sunroom this color SOON!!

• Liz_HGTV says:

I agree, I love marigold in every season…but I may be a little biased. We'd love to see pics of your marigold walls when you paint!