As much as I can’t stop thinking about that gorgeous Thanksgiving spread in nine days, it’s true that no table is complete without stunning place settings. So make your table extra memorable this year with personalized, hand-painted plates and an antique-inspired framed message board ideal for greeting holiday guests as soon as they walk in the door. (A mouth-watering feast of turkey, stuffing and other traditional favorites will still help though.)

marian parsons handmade thanksgiving table settings hgtv design happens design blog

Add a custom look to your holiday table this Thanksgiving by stenciling a special holiday phrase or design on simple, white dinner plates. Marian Parsons of Mustard Seed Interiors used gold ceramic paint to give an elegant look to her seasonal tablescape. I love how well the gold pairs with her antique cutlery and off-white place mats. You can also monogram plates for personalized hostess gifts, too. Get full instructions here >>

marian parsons handmade thanksgiving ornate chalkboard frame thanksgiving entertaining holiday hgtv design happens design blog

Turn an unused wooden frame into an ornate DIY chalkboard ideal for a seasonal entryway. Place it on the dining room buffet and greet holiday guests with a special saying, the upcoming (and long-awaited) dinner menu or have each person list one thing they’re thankful for this season. Guests will be dying to know where you got your gorgeous, antique frame. Your secret? Gold leaf and dark walnut wood stain. But you don’t have to say a word. Get full instructions here >>

Don’t let Thanksgiving sneak up on you. We have plenty of easy-to-create table settings, centerpieces and decoration ideas to make your holiday memorable this year.

And head over to FoodNetwork.com for delectable Thanksgiving recipes ideas for experienced cooks and first-timers alike.

1. carol says:

Please listen to us HGTV! We love the designer programs and let's have more creative ideas like the framed chalkboard and the stenciled plates. We hate the real estate programs!
    Carol

2. Linda says:

I'm sick of the real estate programs, too! I catch If Walls Could Talk some mornings as I'm getting ready for work and love that program. I also liked the program of the crafting people from around the country. There are NO gardening programs except Crashers which are fine but it would be nice to have some programs for those of us who have to budget and do things over a period. What about gardening programs from different parts of the country?! Not all areas have the same gardening issues such as soil, weather, etc. We need programs that help with design whether it is inside or out. There are only a handful of them and they're one only once a week. David, Candace, etc. PLEASE!

3. Sandra says:

To everyone that has been complaining about House Hunters, House Hunters International, House Hunters on Vacation, House Hunters Million Dollar Homes, My First Place, My First Sale, Property Virgins, Selling New York, Selling LA — did I leave anything out? I have been complaining about this for over a year. Obviously, the producers at HGTV DO NOT CARE. If they did, they'd listen to their viewers. I have pretty much moved on.

4. Anne says:

What happened to Decorating Cents and Room by Room I really miss them shows. I am so sick of House Hunters, My First Place, My First sale, Property Virgins. HGTV is my favorite channel but I am tired of the same old shows on all the time. Bring back some of the classics.

5. Bobbie-Texas says:

When I started watching HGTV, many years ago, all the decorating, craft and diy shows were on. Being of an amature designer, I quickly took to this new type TV program and learned new skills. I was always so proud to tell every one that I learned this on HGTV. I only watch these type TV shows (even most of them are vintage reruns), and change the channel when the real estate shows come on–I HATE these types of programs. Need to change the channel name to RETV–real estate tv. The only way I will go on the HGTV internet site is to look up projects from the old shows. LISTEN TO YOUR VIEWING PUBLIC, HGTV, we want more diy shows.
    OR…if HGTV wants to keep just real-estate TV…
    I hope someone knows that there are millions of us all over the world that want more do-it-yourself- project tv programming and can design a new TV channel for programs that most of the former HGTV viewers want.

6. Regina Chahal says:

Been watching the Front Door hoping to be the Winner to the Utah Dream Home Contest from HGTV Not Yet!

7. D. Yarbrough says:

I also miss the DIY type shows. With todays economy who has extra money to hire a decorator?? I haven't gotten a new idea that I can do cheaply in several years, I just quit watching!

8. Lucylote says:

I agree with all the above postings on House Hunters, etc. I used to watch HGTV all the time. Not so much now. I enjoyed the DIY type shows. Most people that watch HGTV watched because of the DIY shows. HGTV you have screwed up. Who cares about million dollar homes and International homes. I though HGTV was a show that showed people how to repair and get new ideas on how to do things. Watch VERY LITTLE of HGTV now.

9. Lucylote says:

10. Luigi says:

If you would like to take a good deal from this post then you have to apply these techniques to your won webpage.