In any elimination show, nothing’s more important than the first impression each contestant makes. Who will be the dark horse? The sweetheart? The villain? As the Design Star editor, I size up our contestants the same way, since I’ll be spending (at least virtually) lots of time with them.

Right off the bat, there was something appealing about Kellie’s warm, comfortable style and easy personality. Many of you fell for her too — she led all season in the Design Star fan vote and ended up winning the grand prize, her own show right here on HGTV.com (more on that later!).

Kellie Clements Designs

Kellie’s bright designs just scream fun, but they’re functional, too, like the built-in window seat and storage niche from the designers’ Brooklyn penthouse. (The view isn’t bad, either.)

Design Star Fan Favorite Kellie Clements DIY Projects

As an avid DIYer, I love how she unexpectedly upcylces cheap materials: cabbages become candle holders; rag rugs become seat covers.  She’s artsy, too: She paints custom abstract paintings and transformed her grandmother’s chair, above, into a bright, funky accent piece.

And as many of you said all season long, she’s as sweet as pie. Check out this thank you video, dedicated to her Design Star fans:

You’ll see more from Kellie soon — check back soon for details about her HGTV.com show!

What would you like to see in Kellie’s online show? Tell us in the comments below.

1. Christina says:

I'm bummed Kellie didn't win! I love her style. Thanks for paying tribute to her because she is fabulous!

xo,
    Christina
    <a href="http://www.becauseofmadalene.blogspot.com” target=”_blank”>www.becauseofmadalene.blogspot.com

2. Cliff says:

I'm really into the vintage green cubes. What can I say? :)

3. [...] From Design Star Fave Kellie Clements HGTV Design Happens Thu, November 17, 2011 10:33 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share (function(){var [...]

4. Kayla@HGTV says:

I absolutely love her style. Right up my alley.

5. jwc says:

I live in a cabin style house with tongue & groove walls and ceilings. I'd love to see what Kellie would do with something challenging like that.

6. @DIYandSAVE says:

Yay! Didn't know Kelly won anything. What/where will her show be? Looking forward to seeing more!

7. Averyjohnson50 says:

I love Kelly style and designing. The pictures look great and I love the colors. My wife were went to a few open houses the other day looking for some homes for sale and we saw some similar designs. I would love to use some of these designs in my new home.

8. fils says:

Except candles in cabbages because my kids like them as food ;) . But all your creativity fills me wtih wonder^_^. This could suit to the hallway that I read on this site. It would be kind to show others ideas off.

9. Justine says:

A little creativity can go a long way. The truly ingenious could use old or unexpected materials, and make them look awesome, just like Kellie. I wonder how she would go about making a dash mat for a car. I've always wanted to do a DIY project for mine.