The year is drawing to a close and I am sure many of you have projects sitting in your garage or storage closet waiting to be tackled. Today I’m offering one simple suggestion: paint.

A good paint color can transform a drab item into an amazing statement piece. Best of all, all it takes is some patience and a little bit of money.

Most people think painting furniture is only for wood or plastic pieces. Not true. Almost anything can be painted.

Just recently I painted a set of wing-back chairs. At less than $10 for supplies, I updated them in just one weekend.

In its past life this desk was probably the life of the room, offering substantial storage and a sturdy writing surface. However, years passed and trends changed. Natty by Design brought this gem back to the modern era with a fresh coat of paint. Its high-gloss finish adds just the right amount of pizazz without being overpowering.

You can also use spray paint to give something new life. While these particular lamps weren’t thrifted, Janel Beals knew the blue color wouldn’t work in her space, so she fixed that dilemma with a nice coat of white paint. Thrift stores tend to have reasonably priced lamps with great shapes.

Perhaps you like the idea of painting but want to go the extra step. Take this secretary that received a facelift for one of Amy Meir’s clients. Yes. I know. Spectacular.

Now I know the secretary was a quite daunting. Some of us are not quite ready for that experience. How about this boot jack? I found it while browsing a local thrift store and was not a fan of the color. I simply spray painted it gold and now I am using it as a paper weight. How easy was that?

Have you also painted a thrifted piece? Share!

Design Inspiration

1. Kelley@HGTV says:

Rashon, I want to know how you painted those wingbacks! Are they leather?

2. [...] Shelterholic Food. Thrifting: Paint It HGTV Design Happens Fri, December 16, 2011 4:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share (function(){var [...]

3. Christina says:

I can't take my eyes off that green desk! Beautiful. :)

Christina http://becauseofmadalene.blogspot.com/

4. All of these projects are great, but I absolutely LOVE the lamps!

5. You are right , as far as Spray painting goes , People are always surprised when I tell them that I am Going
    to use spray paint for a certain object.
    But they usually love the results!

They key is to put on a light layers, keep the can far enough away from the object as to not get any drips , and Don't! skimp on the paint , buy enough to get a uniform finish.

6. I too was wondering what material the wing-backs are made of. If you used fabric paint, what brand and type? They look incredible. I love the "preppy" addition of the bold fabric (blanket?) too. Some Burberry-esque style.

7. Rebecca says:

Hello Rashon! I would turn your chalkboards into storage boxes by attaching them to wood cut to the size of the chalkboard attaching them with a piano hinge. you could use chalk to lable whats inside or just write words of wisdom!

8. Kathe says:

Yep! Love spray paint and the power it has to take something fugly and make it beautiful. See what I did here: http://kathewithane.blogspot.com/2011/09/hot-mess

9. A Pinterest Addict says:

I completely agree! I've painted everything: desks, chairs, lamps, candle holders and upholstery. You can check it all out here.. <a href="http://www.apinterestaddict.com” target=”_blank”>www.apinterestaddict.com

10. Susan says:

I really need the supply list for painting furniture. I can't seem to locate Kristy's blog that you mentioned.