The year is drawing to a close and I am sure many of you have projects sitting in your garage or storage closet waiting to be tackled. Today I’m offering one simple suggestion: paint.

A good paint color can transform a drab item into an amazing statement piece. Best of all, all it takes is some patience and a little bit of money.

Most people think painting furniture is only for wood or plastic pieces. Not true. Almost anything can be painted.

Just recently I painted a set of wing-back chairs. At less than $10 for supplies, I updated them in just one weekend.

In its past life this desk was probably the life of the room, offering substantial storage and a sturdy writing surface. However, years passed and trends changed. Natty by Design brought this gem back to the modern era with a fresh coat of paint. Its high-gloss finish adds just the right amount of pizazz without being overpowering.

You can also use spray paint to give something new life. While these particular lamps weren’t thrifted, Janel Beals knew the blue color wouldn’t work in her space, so she fixed that dilemma with a nice coat of white paint. Thrift stores tend to have reasonably priced lamps with great shapes.

Perhaps you like the idea of painting but want to go the extra step. Take this secretary that received a facelift for one of Amy Meir’s clients. Yes. I know. Spectacular.

Now I know the secretary was a quite daunting. Some of us are not quite ready for that experience. How about this boot jack? I found it while browsing a local thrift store and was not a fan of the color. I simply spray painted it gold and now I am using it as a paper weight. How easy was that?

Have you also painted a thrifted piece? Share!

Design Inspiration

1. Kath says:

Don't overlook something just because it isn't pretty in its current state. Spray paint works miracles as I show here: http://kathewithane.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-at-b

2. A Pinterest Addict says:

Hi Susan – if you click on the picture of Kristy's chair (first pic on the post) it will take you to her post on how she did it.

3. Sandi says:

What kind of spray paint do I need and what is the process to paint glass?

4. tmatespresco says:

hell yeah!!! )

5. sheila v. says:

is it preferable to paint wood?work and stair cases white as opposed to orginal oak

6. In the bedroom, window treatments have double duty.

Stoddard recommends engineered wood flooring for seaside homes,
    because it’s scratch-resistant—and less like
    to be damaged by tracked-in sand—and requires less maintenance.
    The other side of the easel is a chalkboard,
    so we also included the MALA chalk in our purchase.

7. Nice post, had a good read!

8. Paranada says:

What i don’t understood is if truth be told how you’re no longer really a lot more neatly-appreciated than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You understand thus significantly when it comes to this subject, produced me individually imagine it from so many various angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it is something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs great. At all times take care of it up!