It’s true. I have fashion, design and cooking obsessions. I’m sure many of you do, too. So, whenever I need to get my daily fix of beautiful clothes, eclectic designs and scrumptious recipes, I head over to A Beautiful Mess. Elsie Larson created her five-year-old blog to “promote an inspired lifestyle through fashion, handmade and pretty things.” On top of being a blog editor, she’s also a designer and the co-founder of Red Velvet, a shop that specializes in vintage and independent designer fashion and accessories. (She is a thrifting queen; see her closet for yourself!)

a beautiful mess blog elsie larson

I love to be inspired by other people’s handiwork on a daily basis, but there’s just a certain satisfaction I get from embarking on a handmade project of my own. If you head over to the projects page, Elsie and her team have compiled an endless amount of original tutorials. I’ve already added at least 10 to my winter to-do list, including some garland ideas for spring, vibrant paint chip art and painted leather bracelets that will be perfect for my summer wardrobe.

a beautiful mess blog diy projects handmade

Elsie has definitely set her blog apart by integrating creative how-tos and fun tutorials into her weekly posts, as well as tours of her home and her own decorating ventures. She treats her blog as a learning space, and each topic, whether it’s photography, beauty, decorating or baking, teaches me something new every time I stop by. In the photography section, you can learn how to take better self-portraits, or see how Elsie displays photos in her home and steal the look for yourself.

And I want to steal the look. I can’t get enough of her vintage style. Just look at her living room, bedroom and kitchen:

a beautiful mess blog elsie larson living room

a beautiful mess blog elsie larson bedroom nightstand

a beautiful mess elsie larson kitchen

a beautiful mess blog elsie larson kitchen

When you’re not making fabric necklaces or glitter shoes, be sure to check out “10 Things I Love” every Sunday, which features Elsie’s current design and fashion obsessions. Isn’t that just the perfect way to end the weekend?

a beautiful mess blog elsie larson

I find Elsie’s most recent online venture incredibly cool. Not sure how to sew a simple bow? (That would be me.) Or looking for information on developing your new blog? Elsie and her team have created several e-courses that are now up and running. Based on their experiences with running a business and a blog, they have compiled lessons they feel will be helpful for those looking into starting a small business, creating a blog, learning how to sew or styling a home, to name a few. You can check out the course introductions and sign up if you’re interested.

A Beautiful Mess is one of my favorite blogs for DIY and handmade project ideas. What is your go-to blog for DIY inspiration? Tell us in the comments!

1. Amy Renea says:

I am a big fan of 'A Beautiful Mess' as well!! I also am a huge fan of Ashley Ann's 'Under the Sycamore'!

2. Rachael says:

I am a follower of Elsie's and A Beautiful Mess and am always amazed at her creativity. Everything in her world seems so colorful and fun, and people want this, it makes them feel good. I think this is one of many reasons she is so successful.
    I also get inspiration from this blog, magazines, and pinterest.
    #thriftingrocks
    Rachael http://thethriftypicker.blogspot.com/

3. [...] of the Month: Elsie From A Beautiful Mess HGTV Design Happens Sat, January 7, 2012 9:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate this story Share (function(){var [...]

4. kayla ruece says:

<a href="http://www.justlovelythings.blogspot.com” target=”_blank”>www.justlovelythings.blogspot.com is for sure an up & comer with great tutorials and a cool shop!
    i love the strong branding that <a href="http://www.gussysews.com” target=”_blank”>www.gussysews.com has and how <a href="http://www.littlemissmomma.com” target=”_blank”>www.littlemissmomma.com keeps it real!

5. Stephanie May* says:

Congrats Elsie! So happy to be one of your loyal readers;)

Love,
    Stephanie May*

6. Rachel Denbow says:

Hooray, friend! I'm so proud to see my bestie being recognized by such a fantastic site! Well deserved. Elsie is not only one of the most talented people I've ever known, she's also one of the kindest and most generous. She's a gem!

7. NaomiAnselmo says:

Yay!! Love A Beautiful Mess! And Red Velvet is my favorite shop, I'm so lucky to live in the same town!

8. mygirlthursday says:

This is wonderful! Congratulations Elsie, Emma and everyone else who works to make ABM such a wonderful place to visit. ♥

9. kirsten says:

congrats Elsie! I love ABM!!

10. abozza says:

Elsies blog is one of my favorites! Congratulations to Elsie! http://amysreallife.wordpress.com