I often send note cards to clients or buyers and I needed a place to keep everything organized. When I came across a Lucite tray it gave me the idea to create a writing station.

lucite tray on desk

As a decorator and wardrobe stylist, layering is one of the key elements I use to create one-of-a-kind look.

A silver tray nests inside lucite tray to create a writing station

Layering tip: Create a zone for special objects by placing one tray inside another.

Note cards in a writing station

I don’t want to get too crazy with small things because the objective is to make this organized, not cluttered.

desk with writing station made from nested trays

And this was totally affordable. The acrylic tray was only $1.99, the silver tray was .99 and the trophy I’m using as a pen holder was $1.50.

Are there any tips you have for putting trays to work? Id love to hear them.

Design Inspiration

1. Natasha B. says:

WOAHHHHHH

2. A Pinterest Addict says:

I love how it keeps it looking organized, not messy. And doesn't take up too much visual space! I went to my favorite thrift store today and picked up a few silver trays – this is a great way to put them to use!

3. Marta says:

I also use a silver tray under my Keurig. Due to lack of kitchen space…I like to push it back under my cubbords after morning coffee. I put the silver tray on a pretty tea towel, and it slides back and forth easily. Before I had it on the pretty silver tray…it kept coming apart on me!

4. Carmella says:

Love it! And you too Mr. Goodwill Hunting! Thanks for sharing!

5. Stephanie Press says:

Excellent! Love lucite, has such a luxe touch.

6. Peg says:

Very classy!

7. [...] On Trend: Macarons Thrifting: Tray Chic HGTV Design Happens Fri, January 20, 2012 9:31 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

8. Marge says:

Yes…I love it

9. samar says:

Samar, I love what I see, but for me what ever I try to do never works. I don't know where to start my rooms are huge, including mastersuite I have 7 bedrooms, on the 2nd and 3rd floor with 3 full bathrooms. 1st floor I have. A sunroom, a grand room full dining room, butler pantry, a large eat in island kitchen that takes you out to a deck. A guest powder room, a huge foyer. The smallest room in the 6000 sf house is 15 by 15. Soooo hard to decorate it. I need to renovate whole house one room at a time I just don't know where to start the floors, painting, furniture, not easy.o_O

10. localceleb says:

You are awesome, a very creative eye that I love-