One thing I love about finding amazing and inexpensive pieces in thrift stores is that I can personalize them with paint.

While I was in New York last year I decorated a small living room. When I showed my client the above crendenza, she wasn’t feeling it at all. She said it was old and dated and she was right. However, I knew one coat of a bold color would make her see the light.

I chose her favorite color, coral. When she saw the piece she couldn’t believe it! Whew! I was nervous about using such a bright color, but I knew I could always repaint if she hated it.

I repainted this dresser black and now use it in my living room as a sideboard. I am most at home with black furniture pieces; the color really fits my style and my personality. And, like I said above, if I ever decide that black is no longer a statement color for my space, I can always add a coat of primer and start again.

While painting a piece of furniture a very bold color can yield striking results, sometimes a neutral color is best. A few months back I was asked to transform a family heirloom for a very special client. When I learned the back-story of the piece, I knew I wanted to make it special for her. In order to do this I actually used two colors. The end result was amazing as you can see.

Do you have a go-to paint color for your thrifted finds?

Design Inspiration

1. Rachael says:

that desk is just beautiful, rashon. nice work!

Rachael http://thethriftypicker.blogspot.com/

2. Website Design says:

Wow, that bold reddish color used on the bureau is stunning!

3. [...] Thrifting: Transform Your Find With Color HGTV Design Happens Fri, January 27, 2012 6:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

4. Peg says:

Amazing how the black dresser doesn't look like a "dresser". I've tried to "restore" dressers and desks in the past and they just don't look as nice as yours! You are very talented!

5. Diane says:

I love all of these. I think they are great, thanks for sharing.

6. Ava DeVault says:

I wonder if she used a auto painter for the dresser. Some designers take them to a car painter to have them done. Beautiful!

7. Nebraska says:

I simply love all of these pieces!

8. Katherine says:

I buy furniture from thrifts often. Side tables, dresser drawers, bookshelves. Especially if they have some little detail, a curved apron, a shapely turned leg, or clean midcentury lines. One or two coats of crisp white paint brings out all the beauty of the piece.

9. Carolyn Miller says:

I love all each piece and the colors chosen. I can do the work, but do not have to creativity to see the possibilities in pieces or come up with the creative ideas. I guess that's why I will just have to keep taking other people's ideas an use them myself. I LOVE all of these! Wish I had the credenza in my dining room. I am going to start looking for one right away. Carolyn

10. Imahappygal says:

Call me crazy but I think the coral credenza is hideous. I hope she re-paints it.

I'm in the process of redecorating my living room and have been searching online and in magazines for ideas and color schemes. It's left me cold. In my opinion the "latest" designer fashion trends are awful – garish colors, bling and mirrors, patterns that just don't work together. This garbage is everywhere.