One thing I love about finding amazing and inexpensive pieces in thrift stores is that I can personalize them with paint.

While I was in New York last year I decorated a small living room. When I showed my client the above crendenza, she wasn’t feeling it at all. She said it was old and dated and she was right. However, I knew one coat of a bold color would make her see the light.

I chose her favorite color, coral. When she saw the piece she couldn’t believe it! Whew! I was nervous about using such a bright color, but I knew I could always repaint if she hated it.

I repainted this dresser black and now use it in my living room as a sideboard. I am most at home with black furniture pieces; the color really fits my style and my personality. And, like I said above, if I ever decide that black is no longer a statement color for my space, I can always add a coat of primer and start again.

While painting a piece of furniture a very bold color can yield striking results, sometimes a neutral color is best. A few months back I was asked to transform a family heirloom for a very special client. When I learned the back-story of the piece, I knew I wanted to make it special for her. In order to do this I actually used two colors. The end result was amazing as you can see.

Do you have a go-to paint color for your thrifted finds?

Design Inspiration

1. Rachael says:

that desk is just beautiful, rashon. nice work!

Rachael http://thethriftypicker.blogspot.com/

2. Website Design says:

Wow, that bold reddish color used on the bureau is stunning!

3. Kayla@HGTV says:

I'm in love with that credenza!

4. [...] Thrifting: Transform Your Find With Color HGTV Design Happens Fri, January 27, 2012 6:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

5. Peg says:

Amazing how the black dresser doesn't look like a "dresser". I've tried to "restore" dressers and desks in the past and they just don't look as nice as yours! You are very talented!

6. Diane says:

I love all of these. I think they are great, thanks for sharing.

7. Ava DeVault says:

I wonder if she used a auto painter for the dresser. Some designers take them to a car painter to have them done. Beautiful!

8. Nebraska says:

I simply love all of these pieces!

9. Katherine says:

I buy furniture from thrifts often. Side tables, dresser drawers, bookshelves. Especially if they have some little detail, a curved apron, a shapely turned leg, or clean midcentury lines. One or two coats of crisp white paint brings out all the beauty of the piece.

10. Carolyn Miller says:

I love all each piece and the colors chosen. I can do the work, but do not have to creativity to see the possibilities in pieces or come up with the creative ideas. I guess that's why I will just have to keep taking other people's ideas an use them myself. I LOVE all of these! Wish I had the credenza in my dining room. I am going to start looking for one right away. Carolyn