When I’m looking for a paint color, I get obsessive. It’s not enough to pick a general hue or even a good-looking paint chip. I want the exact yellow featured on the mod artwork in that living room I love. If you’re like me, Sherwin Williams’ new Chip It! tool is like a (color) match made in heaven.

Chip It - Blue Vintage Modern Living Room
Here’s how this Pinterest-inspired idea works: Go to the Chip It! website and drag the bookmarklet to your bookmarks bar. Then, when you find a photo you like, just click the “Chip It!” button on your browser bar to create a custom palette from more than 1,500 shades (including the fabulous HGTV HOME collection.) You can save  favorites to the site or print them out.

Warning, color hounds: it’s addictive. Check out some of the palettes I created using inspiration from HGTV.com:

A sophisticated, (mostly) man-friendly palette inspired by this vintage-modern bachelor pad:

Chip It Tool
A relaxing, muted color scheme inspired by the exterior of the 2012 HGTV Dream Home:
HGTV Dream Home 2012 Exterior

A classic combination inspired by this bold bathroom designed by De Meza Architecture:
Chip It - Yellow and black tile bathroom
Craving more colorful spaces? Browse more than 150 bright and inspiring spaces with HGTV’s free Color Guide app.

1. Briana@HGTV says:

This is SUCH a good find, Liz! I'd been using color palate generators online before, but they would give the colors back as hexidecimal color codes. Good for creating websites, just so-so for decorating. And it is a great companion to our free Color Guide app. <3

2. J.H. says:

wow! this is awesome.

3. slj77 says:

Uh oh – I'm going to be in trouble now. There goes hours of my day finding out colors. This is really amazing!

4. Lavonne says:

My dream would be to win this home. I am 9th of 10 children with brothers and sisters in California , Colorado, near Park City in Utah, Texas,Iowa and Minnesota. Just imagine the reunions we could have in this beautiful home! Plus to top it all off I LOVE the color blue and this home has used it so well. I couldn't pick better colors .

5. Thanks for all of your efforts on this site. My niece really loves conducting internet research and it is easy to see why. We all notice all of the dynamic manner you provide very important tricks through your web site and improve participation from people on the article and my girl is really studying a whole lot. Have fun with the rest of the year. You are always conducting a great job.

6. hot coupons says:

This is the topmost most writing that you just upload using your quarrels.

7. Briana@HGTV says:

Dur, just noticed I used the wrong palate/palette. I blame it on me drinking tea in lieu of my usual extra-strong coffee while my tummy is still upset.