When I’m looking for a paint color, I get obsessive. It’s not enough to pick a general hue or even a good-looking paint chip. I want the exact yellow featured on the mod artwork in that living room I love. If you’re like me, Sherwin Williams’ new Chip It! tool is like a (color) match made in heaven.

Chip It - Blue Vintage Modern Living Room
Here’s how this Pinterest-inspired idea works: Go to the Chip It! website and drag the bookmarklet to your bookmarks bar. Then, when you find a photo you like, just click the “Chip It!” button on your browser bar to create a custom palette from more than 1,500 shades (including the fabulous HGTV HOME collection.) You can save  favorites to the site or print them out.

Warning, color hounds: it’s addictive. Check out some of the palettes I created using inspiration from HGTV.com:

A sophisticated, (mostly) man-friendly palette inspired by this vintage-modern bachelor pad:

Chip It Tool
A relaxing, muted color scheme inspired by the exterior of the 2012 HGTV Dream Home:
HGTV Dream Home 2012 Exterior

A classic combination inspired by this bold bathroom designed by De Meza Architecture:
Chip It - Yellow and black tile bathroom
Craving more colorful spaces? Browse more than 150 bright and inspiring spaces with HGTV’s free Color Guide app.

1. Briana@HGTV says:

This is SUCH a good find, Liz! I'd been using color palate generators online before, but they would give the colors back as hexidecimal color codes. Good for creating websites, just so-so for decorating. And it is a great companion to our free Color Guide app. <3

2. Liz_HGTV says:

Ooh, hadn't heard of that color palette generator before. I'll have to use it for my non-decorating, digital geekery.

• Briana@HGTV says:

Dur, just noticed I used the wrong palate/palette. I blame it on me drinking tea in lieu of my usual extra-strong coffee while my tummy is still upset.

3. J.H. says:

wow! this is awesome.

4. slj77 says:

Uh oh – I'm going to be in trouble now. There goes hours of my day finding out colors. This is really amazing!

5. Kelley@HGTV says:

Freakin' A. Like I needed another addiction.

6. Lavonne says:

My dream would be to win this home. I am 9th of 10 children with brothers and sisters in California , Colorado, near Park City in Utah, Texas,Iowa and Minnesota. Just imagine the reunions we could have in this beautiful home! Plus to top it all off I LOVE the color blue and this home has used it so well. I couldn't pick better colors .