There are some things you shouldn’t buy from a thrift store. While we all love a good deal, I recommend you skip the following:

Mattresses

I have seen mattresses in a number of thrift stores. While they may look clean I wouldn’t encourage buying them second hand. I will note that there are some state laws that require mattresses to undergo a certain cleaning process if they are being sold used.

Baby Furniture
I would never suggest buying cribs, car seats or any essential baby related furniture from a thrift store. Safety laws change often and while you might save money, the risk isn’t worth it.

Makeup

Makeup is also a no-no. These products are going on your skin and if you don’t know the origin of a product I wouldn’t trust it. Be beautiful, but be safe.

Also on my list? Shoes and underwear. What things would you NEVER buy from a thrift store?

Design Inspiration

1. [...] What Not to Buy at Thrift Stores HGTV Design Happens Fri, February 10, 2012 1:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

2. Amy Renea says:

yeah underwear and mattresses are on the no-no list for me :) I buy shoes though if they look very close to new (especially kids shoes because they wear them for about 2 weeks!). If they are worn though, it is not worth it considering someone else's foot has shaped the sole.

3. Great tips! I won't buy socks either.
    Catherine Denton

4. [...] Design Happens Posted in HGTV · Tagged: Stores, Thrift [...]

5. cap says:

Hats could also be a problem…stop and think

6. Chris says:

This mostly seems just like common sense!

7. Jeannie D. says:

Definitely no swimsuits!!

• Jodee says:

Swim suits can be soaked in vinager, washed, and hung out in the sun, as the sun disinfects clothing. I have bought several suits, most like new, and never had any problems.

8. Denise Mc says:

Good lord, I wouldn't buy those animal heads hung over that crib, either, unless you wanted your baby to scream in terror every night or you plan on raising a serial killer. Those things are frightening! What designer thought that was in good taste?

9. Bridget says:

Crib mattresses make wonderful dog beds i recover with vynal sleeve and have also used old cribs cut off legs to make a cool queen size sleeping area for my Great Dane . Re purpose sometimes better use than original and much cheaper? just saying use imagination.B)

• Robin says:

That's a great idea for a dog bed! Thanks for the suggestion…off to make a dog bed! COOL!

• cyndy says:

That is a great Idea for dog beds. I go out every fall and buy the foam and vinyl to make my dog a new bed. Even making it myself is rather expensive.The foam is the most expensive part . I am excited to hear there is an alternative. Thanks for the great idea.

• nina says:

Super good idea

10. Leisa says:

I wouldn't buy pillows, stuffed animals or bed linens