Last week, I shared photos of my embarrassingly bare bedroom. (Remember that mattress on the floor? I certainly do.)  Since sprucing it up is our first real project, I’ve spent hours upon hours this week holding up paint chips and scouring Pinterest for THE perfect shades. Besides getting a really great arm workout (fan decks can get mighty heavy…), I’ve managed to narrow the field down to two possible palettes.

Our master bathroom has ’50s-era aqua tile that’s not going anywhere anytime soon, so I wanted to incorporate that color into the bedroom palette to create a cohesive look. Overall, I”m looking for a modern natural feel, with flashes of bright colors alongside more muted hues. Which do you prefer?

Palette 1: Energetic Greens
I’m a little obsessed with yellow, so it’s not surprising that this look-at-me hue made into one of my palettes as an accent color. Chartreuse and aqua give this look a vintage feel, while warm neutrals keep it feeling modern.

Teal Green Yellow Gray PalettePillows via Coastal Living; bedding from Urban Outfitters

Palette 2:  Tangerine Dreams
Tangerine  (Pantone’s color of the year!) and aqua are color wheel opposites, but they’re a classic combination. I love the idea of bringing in a bright orange, vintage leather chair as an accent piece. Soft mocha paint (or a subtly-patterned wallpaper) would make the walls warm and inviting.

Orange Teal Red Bedroom PalettePeaches via Laura Vegas; Chair from Rate My Space contributor NYDesignGuy

Which color swatch should I use? Cast your vote in the comments below!

Read Liz’s previous House Diaries posts here and follow her home inspiration board on Pinterest.

1. Helen says:

#1 for a bedroom. The tangerine is too bright. Keep it restful. Besides, #1 is prettier.

2. Aggie says:

I like #1 & #4 but would go with #1 for bedroom

• Sandra Price says:

I also like yellow, but maybe not quite that dark, and other accent colors like teal. At this point in my life, I need sunshine around me with colors from the deep sea to compliment it. I would say, go for whatever makes you feel good!!

3. ScampiMom says:

#1 includes the greens you really seemed to like in your inspiration pictures before. Go for that.

4. RuthieWW says:

I like the aquas……ditto for it being more relaxing for a bedroom!

5. menemec says:

Palette #2 Very bold and modern. And it is a bedroom, do you want sunshine and happy or HOT and happy?

6. Ruby L says:

Love them both but I think #1 is more tranquil.

7. Wanda says:

Palette 2 with the softer colors as the main choice for wall, ceiling, windows and floor the brighter colors can add the pop needed to bring cheer to the room.

8. Linda says:

Tangerine

9. tammiesgarden says:

I like the tangerine. I sleep in my room. I like to relax and unwind. The yellow and aqua scream, "jump up and get going." Great for the other parts of the house, but not for the bedroom. I really don't care for that shade of yellow. To me, if that color had a personality, it would be like a whiny child. I have two rooms in my downstairs that are yellow, but mine are are yellow with a golden faux overlay. Feels warm and cozier.