You’ve heard of container gardens, but what about container houses? Containers have been growing in popularity for mobile office solutions or pop-up stores due to their relative affordability and portability, but this 12 Container House by Adam Kalkin takes the trend to another level.

container houses

Photos: Peter Aaron/Esto

I never thought I’d want to live in a bunch of shipping containers(!), but honestly, this is pretty stylish. And it definitely grooves with that whole urban, modern, industrial look I like. You have to check out Kalkin’s site to see more impressive photos, plus a cool video that explains his prefab home philosophies.

What do you think? Would you live in a container house like this?

[Via: Svpply, Bless This Stuff]

Design Inspiration

1. Robin says:

I live in Silicon Valley (Santa Clara County) and they have way too many restrictions here. For years I have liked this idea and thought I would like to do this. I sincerely doubt that Santa Clara County would let me use these to build with.

2. lictprocaner says:

:->)

3. Yvette says:

I love container houses, we have one a long the sea it is our weekend house, we bought an aluminium container, we closed it in wirh a wooden balcony in de front and two rooms and a bathroom at the back, and covert all of it with a roof, its so nice sitting there and watch the sea and the sailors, I would like to built a big one, still dreaming!

4. April says:

My husband and I are building a container house. After two years of planning (and blogging about it at http://www.rocknrollproblems), we are just about to begin construction. Woo!

5. It is quite interesting to live in the container house. I am wondering that how we feel inside and it is suitable for hot weather or not. Although it is made up off the heat resistant material. They are looking great. container loading services

6. James says:

Containers homes are a fast, economical and flexible alternative of traditional homes as they provide modern dwellings for any households’ size from individual to family and community housing. Just tell us about your specification and see how we change steel containers in to your beautiful home. We at Giant Container Sales offer you best quality, best space, secure Container House in affordable price.

7. g.e.g. says:

A woman who created a pretty cool container home was just featured on "You Live in What?" tonight, 7:00 EST – but I cannot find any info on it, the portion of the episode, etc. I'd love to get more details; location, architect, her info if possible to contact – can anyone help?!? Thank you!

8. allen says:

container house has been designed like big cocrect house <a href="http://,https://www.facebook.com/allen.cai.758” target=”_blank”>,https://www.facebook.com/allen.cai.758

9. Roslyn Crawley says:

every time i see a chapter air i would like more information , need help, someone,please!

10. I guess your blog is really cool. If u want to meet other people you also can check out weblog. I just wanna thank you for it.