Today’s officially the first day of spring and I’m completely and utterly…speechless. Why? Because here in Knoxville, Tenn., where HGTV headquarters are located, we skipped winter. No snow days, no brutal freezes, just some typical cold weather. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not complaining, just a little shocked that my favorite season is actually here! If you’re ready to welcome spring with open arms, then we have a project that will get you in the mood for all the gardening you’ll be doing in just a few weeks.

With this seed tape project you can create the perfect arrangement and plant seeds exactly where you want them. This is a great way to get the little ones involved in the garden, too. Find out how:

seed tape spring gardening

Measure out a length of toilet paper, determine the spacing of your planting row and cut lengthwise accordingly. Consult the seed packet to determine how far apart the seeds should be planted, and then use a marker to mark the seed spacing on the paper. Add a dab of all-purpose glue on each mark. Pour the seeds on a plate and separate. Use tweezers to pick up an individual seed and place on each drop of glue.

seed tape spring gardening

Once all the seeds have been placed and the glue has dried, roll the seed tape onto a toilet paper roll. Store the rolled seed tapes in a cool, dry place until you’re ready to plant.

seed tape spring gardening

If your containers are ready, you can plant your seed tape immediately. To plant the seed tape, simply lay it on the soil surface and cover with garden soil according to the depth recommended by the seed packet. Firm the soil, and then water with a fine nozzle, like that on a watering can. Get the Full Step-by-Step Instructions Here >>

Need some more ideas for fun projects you can do with the whole family? Head over to the HGTV Family Gardening Club. Plus, score some free expert gardening tips and top-notch plant advice at HGTV’s brand new gardening site HGTV Gardens.

Is anyone else ready to welcome spring? What garden projects are you planning this season? Tell us below!

Gardening

1. Amy Renea says:

This is brilliant!! The kids would love it! I've been doing my own "eco-friendly" planting today…dresser drawers and newspaper pots! http://anestforallseasons.blogspot.com/2012/03/dr

2. Sarah's Seedlin says:

I've not seen this done before, I think I will give it a go, is the glue really ok to use?

3. willgarden4food says:

I haven't seen it either,I am going to try it too! Should work great for carrots and onions(green)

4. Vaishali Thakare says:

Really good idea .

5. Harried Harry says:

Although time consuming, it looks like a very good way to prepare for the growing season. I always have trouble getting the spacing right, especially with carrots. Now I can prepare when it is still too cold to plant. Thanks

6. Amaris says:

This sounds fantastic! For larger areas, could paper towels be used?

7. Tom says:

Question: don't the toilet paper and the glue contain chemicals that you don't want in nature, and in your soil espcially?

=/

• I am also oncerned about the chemicals so would use a flour and water paste for the glue and a non chlorine bleached toilet paper.

• Bill says:

I wouldn't as the flour water pate will attract mould. Which will give you diseased stock straight away. Water based PVA craft or wood glue wont harm, and you only need the slightest amount.

8. Sascha says:

Brilliant idea Kayla. I will have to do this because I NEVER get the spacing right and a lot of my garden just goes to waste because it does not want to grow right.
    Tom, the glue is water soluble and I compost paper towels all the time so I am sure a little toilet paper in the garden will be OK.

9. [...] How-To: Make Seed Tape (It Saves Time and Seeds) [HGTV] [...]