I hate to date myself, but do you remember the TV show MacGyver? For all you youngsters out there, MacGyver was a secret agent who refused to carry a gun, instead solving problems and escaping trouble by employing whatever materials were handy at the time, along with his trusty roll of duct tape and a Swiss Army knife. (You may also be familiar with the SNL spoof, MacGruber.)

ANYWAY, I fully believe that MacGyver was on to something by making the most of whatever he had on hand. To that end, allow me to present some crafts you can make with all of those leftover wine corks you have kicking around, like this bath mat spotted by our own Lili Zarghami. (If you do not have wine corks handy, refer to the someecard below. But please, drink and craft responsibly.)

cork craft joke

wine cork placeholders

Photo: Jillian West/Little Bat Photography

These cute wine cork placeholders greeted guests at a friend’s recent wedding. Not only are they easy to make, they fit the theme perfectly (the couple was married in Wine Country). You don’t have to be getting married to steal the look — these would also be perfect for wine and cheese tasting parties at home.

wine cork garden marker craft
I have a black thumb, but if you’re the gardening type, you can repurpose corks as garden markers with little more than Sharpies and skewers, as seen on My Chic Life.

wine cork keychain craft
Wine cork keychains = quite possibly the simplest, yet most useful party favors ever. You can make them yourself with the instructions on Cleverly Inspired or buy them on Etsy, if you’d like someone else to MacGyver for you. (No judgment!)

wine cork cork board craft project
This wine cork creation from Life as a Thrifter takes the term “cork board” to the next (literal) level! And I must say, I love how it looks over this home bar.

wine cork stamp craft project

Last, but certainly not least, I dig the idea of using corks as homemade stamps, like this example from Creative Jewish Mom. The apple here is for a Rosh Hashanah card, but I can imagine this being a totally adorable end-of-year card for a schoolteacher, too.

Handmade

1. Lili@HGTV says:

That cork keychain is genius!! I wish I would've thought of that myself. So cool.

2. Holly says:

My husband and I are currently collecting wine labels and corks from each bottle we drink. The back story: a slightly-used coffee table sat in the parking garage of our apartment building for 8 hours, so we decided it was ours (hey, it sat there for 8 hours! That makes it fair game, right?). It has some scratches and dents, but it a solid table. So, we plan to use the wine labels to decoupage the tabletop, then set a vase filled with the matching corks on top.

• Briana@HGTV says:

Ha! What a creative idea! My mother's kitchen wallpaper is meant to look like many different wine labels, but how neat to achieve that same effect with the real thing. Would you be willing to share photos when it's finished? I'd love to see it. :)

• Holly B says:

Brianna, we finally collected enough labels and got around to putting together our wine label decoupaged coffee table. I would love to share photos with you. I've been trying to take photos of the entire process with the thought of potentially putting together a how-to post. Where can I send the pictures, or a link to wherever I end up posting?

• jslater says:

Omg you stole my table! Lol…

3. Grantley@HGTV says:

Loved the show — love these ideas!

• Briana@HGTV says:

Yay! Glad you enjoyed the post. (And it was tempting to see if I could find some old episodes on Hulu…you know, for inspiration.)

4. anne says:

Any idea for a a cork wreath-I have seen them but no directions on "How to"?

5. [...] MacGyver: 5 Amazing Wine Cork Crafts HGTV Design Happens Mon, April 30, 2012 9:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

6. [...] MacGyver: 5 Amazing Wine Cork Crafts HGTV Design Happens Mon, April 30, 2012 9:00 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

7. mark says:

fondue forks storage. just stab the forks into the cork to keep them together when not in use.

• Donna R. says:

Along these lines, I have my kabob skewers each stabbed into a cork in my utensil drawer. Having a skewer handy has proven more useful than I'd have ever thought. Most recently, I'm using it to stab one little hole in the aluminum foil covering the glass saucepan I'm using to pop corn on top of my stove. It works just like Jiffy Pop!

8. Shannon Fox says:

What wonderful projects! Love them all. The "cork board" is pretty fabulous and the key rings are so cute!!

9. Amy says:

Love the card from some ecards – hilarious! Corks are great crafting accessories, kind of like popsicle sticks!

10. Linda says:

Love these wine cork ideas! I have a second blog (haven't even shared with my current blog readers) and I posted a bunch of wine cork ideas. Including Holly's amazing wine cork cork board. I also found wine cork backsplash, a wine cork floor, and an amazing sculpture made out of wine corks! Some of these bloggers are so amazingly talented and inventive!

Linda