Do you remember when hiding your TV was the best way to keep your living room looking chic and polished? Well, now it’s the other way around. A sleek flat-screen can easily be an aesthetically-pleasing focal point in a space. Whether they’re mounted on the wall or situated on a stand, TVs still need the perfect console to house (and hide) all those clutter-inducing media components, wires and remote controls.

I know what you’re thinking, media consoles aren’t cheap. (Although the high-gloss red unit that I’ve been coveting from IKEA is a refreshing $249.) That’s why our very own featured blogger, Brian Patrick Flynn, has come to the rescue with a project that’s simple, stylish and most of all, affordable. Now, you can get a designer look without the price tag.

multipurpose family room small spaceMaking the Most of a Small, Multipurpose Space

OK, raise your hand if you stalk the furniture section on Craigslist every day. (Raises hand!) I thought so. Now, how many times a day do you see a wooden dresser for a killer price but you just don’t need another dresser? Give that dresser a whole new life, my friends, as a media console with high-end style that’s perfectly suited for spaces both large and small. Here’s how:

small space media console repurposedBefore :: Dresser

This vintage dresser was picked up at a flea market for $35. As you can see, it has some flaws on the exterior but nothing a little sanding and paint can’t fix.

small space media console repurposedAfter :: Media console

First, remove the drawers and pre-drill pilot holes into drawer base and drawer front for each. (This will be where the hinges go.) Remove the drawer fronts from each drawer base using a jigsaw or table saw. Add screws through holes in hinges. Drill holes in backs of drawers for cords and wires. Sand the exterior of the dresser, and then paint to add a fresh, new finish.

Get the Full Step-by-Step Instructions >>

We turned an old dresser into a modern media console. Have you embarked on any repurposing projects recently? Share them with us!

1. Jessica says:

I have an old buffet (1930's) that I wanted to do this to last summer. Now I am going to…thanks for reminding me why I wanted to do it to begin with…because it is AWESOME.

2. Grantley@HGTV says:

The walls are even our color of the month!

3. Liz_HGTV says:

Raising hand as a fellow Craigslist addictee! I love that you can fold up the fronts to completely hide your electronics when they're not in use.

4. Susan Bell says:

On one of your remodel shows, a flat-screen tv was mounted on the wall and a specialized glass was mounted over it in a frame. When the tv was on, you could see through the glass but when it was off, the glass was a nicely framed mirror. What kind of glass is this and where can it be found?

5. Annalea says:

I ditched my big entertainment console for a credenza, but now my wall looks big and empyty. Any ideas? I was thinking shelving, but im not sure how to arrange it.

6. Mary Ann Bonner says:

Where do you find answers to questions asked? I'd like to see your answer to Susan Bell's and Annalea's questions. I too have moved my flat-screen to a console but can't stand seeing the TV standing there so stark and un-appealing looking. I have a china hutch on the same wall, further over, so don't want to add more wood. I saw a couple of ideas in your new magazine but would like some more. The glass frame sounds good. Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Annalea says:

I never got any response; But my oringinal thougt of doing a 3 5point pattern, like on a dye; however after emasuring it out, the top shelf would have been too high. I decided to do two long shelves like a = sign. Haven't done it yet, but I think it will look good.

7. Annalea says: