This MacGyver has not been stumped by bottle caps, binder clips or wine corks, but when our own Marianne Canada asked me for inspiring arts and crafts featuring toilet paper roll tubes, I knew I would be facing my greatest challenge yet. Would I find suitable projects in time for Monday’s post?! Well, I think I scraped by, but you be the judge.
toilet paper roll

toilet paper roll wall art
This flowery wall art from growing up creative via Design*Sponge looks so cool, no one would guess it came from a family pack of bathroom tissue. Paint it any color you want, or leave it plain and pin it up!

toilet paper roll wall art

If the organic/floral forms aren’t your thing, you can always go modern with this wall art alternative from delicateConstruction via SheKnows Decorate This. Now that’s what I call upcycling in style.

toilet paper roll favors

Toilet paper roll tubes as party favor savers? If it sounds strange, let these cute examples from Crissy’s Crafts change your mind. (Or take a peek at these little birdies for a more grown-up spin on the idea.)

toilet paper roll flowers

Do you have some tiny MacGyvers at home that are itching to get crafty? Save your toilet paper rolls for a rainy day (like today here in NYC, ugh) and make these toilet paper roll blooms from Parents magazine together. Who knew such colorful flowers could come from dull cardboard?

Did you tame these toilet paper tubes with plenty of time to spare? Take a look at these advanced MacGyver arts and crafts — you won’t believe the detail on these rolls.

Which project is your favorite? And do you have any requests for this MacGyver? Shout ‘em out in the comments below.

Handmade

1. Marianne@HGTV says:

You, my clever friend, are amazing. The wall art! All of it! Now I can stop hoarding toilet paper tubes for some vague "craft project" and actually craft with them! You're the best.

2. Grantley@HGTV says:

Stop it! Just stop it! This is too good!

3. moxie says:

Love it! it's truly inspiring and amazing what "garbage" can look like when you re work it! <a href="http://www.revivalstore.org” target=”_blank”>www.revivalstore.org

4. Guest says:

Greeeaaat. Now I have to go dig them out of my compost bin!

5. Theresa says:

I agree with Cheryl; my imagination is just too vivid to turn toilet paper rolls into food containers and not shudder, however the reconstruction into art is just fantastic!

6. Anncaats says:

We use every roll we can get our hands on, but not exactly for crafts. We heat with wood and to start the fire, we shred newspaper and push long dtrips of it into the roll and pull the strips through the roll. Then, we put the strip-filled roll in between kindling and start the fire. For some reason it really pulls the air through and gives us a quick fire when it's shivery cold.

7. Cheryl Goddard says:

Honestly I do not think I would use something that had been in contact with poop for a food container.

• anncats says:

Umm – this is the cardboard roll, NOT the paper.. unless you do something in the bathroom that is waaaayyyy different than the rest of us!

8. Carolyn says:

Clever, but I need some ideas on how to use the colorful narrow plastic bags that my newspaper comes in on a rainy day. (pink, red, yellow,blue,purple,clear,orange)

• Imogene says:

I use the narrow newspaper bags to store unused onions; just drop the onion in and twist the top or tie it with a leftover tie from my loaf of bread. I also use them to drop my paint brush into; then wrap the plastic in foil and put in the freezer; ready to use again (if using the same kind of paint).

• Briana@HGTV says:

Fab idea. I'll be on the lookout for you, Carolyn! :)

• Drnicky1 says:

Great to store shoes in when packing in a suitcase. Keeps shoe dirt off clothes.

9. TJA says:

Recycle…Helps all of us. Great idea.

10. Lynda says:

Love the first and second ones a lot!