newspaper bag

Image via: mommysavers.com

Another Monday, another craft predicament for Designer MacGyver. Two installments ago, I suggested some fun projects made with cardboard toilet paper rolls, but commenter Carolyn wanted to know what to do with “the colorful narrow plastic bags that my newspaper comes in on a rainy day.” So, now there’s a new mission: Keep plastic bags out of landfills and waterways (think of the sea turtles!) by turning them into adorable home decor. Carolyn, this one’s for you.

plastic bag coasters
Crocheted coasters from plastic bags? Who would have guessed that trips to the curb to pick up the paper or trips to the grocery store to pick up dinner could end up being so creative? Head to Country Woman‘s site to get all the instructions.

plastic bag flower

Even if you have a black thumb, you can make your own blooms with this Silly Simple Living flower tutorial. The white plastic petals look elegant, but for a little more flower power, use those rainbow-hued newspaper bags!

plastic bag placemats

Have extra plarn (that’s plastic yarn, MacGyvers) and extra time? If you’ve mastered the coasters above, try your hand at crocheting some placemats, as seen on Creative Jewish Mom. Teatime just got a lot more quirky and colorful.

plastic bag wall art

Plastic bag art might seem a little off the wall…until you see it on the wall, that is. If you have lots of varied bags, you can experiment with making mandalas. Check out Virginia Fleck’s pieces for more inspiration.

plastic bag flower pot

Finally, trade in a blah planter for a plastic bag flower pot, like the one Petra whipped up over on Mami Made It. Recycling plastic bags and growing plants? It doesn’t get any more “green” than that, folks.

So, which craft do you think saved the day? And do you have any requests for this Designer MacGyver? Let ‘em fly in the comments!

Handmade

1. Casey Moran says:

A good way to preserve plastics, rather than throwing them and causing flood. You can also use them like those perth skip bin hire and even encourage recycling in your area.

2. consultant says:

I was just surfing internet and I came across this amazing page. The content is very helpful. Thank you for uploading such wonderful website .It really helped me.you can also give more information about this subject.

3. bedsafiste says:

nice.

4. Krysta Wolfe says:

Well, that's definitely better than the alternative of just throwing them in the trash. If more households were that creative with their plastic, the world would be a much better place.

5. annette says:

Awesome. I honestly do like this design here… Nice craft.
    Thanks,
    Native products supplier cebu

• good day!,I together with your creating consequently a good deal! proportion we maintain up a correspondence even more virtually your article upon AOL? I need to have an consultant inside of this Room in the direction of fix my scenario. Possibly that’s by yourself! Consuming a appear ahead in direction of peer on your own.

6. Janice says:

Where can I get differen color grocery bags

7. Thank yourself for this individual facts I was just exploring all Yahoo towards be ready towards discover it!

8. domain says:

Undeniably imagine that which you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware
    of. I say to you, I certainly get irked even as people think about issues that they plainly do not know about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also defined out the entire thing without having side effect ,
    folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more.
    Thanks

9. Good article to check on covered individuals. But I am in addition hunting the idea for Skype hi there, now bing offers patched fresh detect process additionally we will have to hang on more days and nights to get im or her unseen to function completely: )

10. Hazel Adams says:

Please let me know how i do so

11. Pingback versus nrablog.com

Check out Olympic medalists and hopefuls towards United states Taking pictures at NRA Meeting