Maybe you’ve been painting in your home recently. Or maybe you’re like me and take a handful of paint chips whenever you run across them in the hardware store. (Hey, they make great bookmarks!) Whatever the case, today’s mission is to show you how to use those colorful strips in ways you’ve never imagined. The best part? You can probably knock these crafts out in an afternoon or less!

paint chip chandelier

The paint chip chandelier above from Hey Gorgeous is so sweet in shades of pink. It’s a perfect way to try the ombre trend and would be darling in a nursery, no?

paint chip cabinet

Pretty up a plain cabinet or table with paint chips in a pattern like this example from TLC Parentables. Simply lay out the design of your choice, then place a pre-cut pane of glass or plexiglass on top of your work. Ta-da!

paint chip bunting
Paint chip bunting is simple to make, especially if you have hole punches in various shapes. This rainbow of flowers comes from Little Bit Funky and matches the palette and theme of the other artwork around it for a cohesive look.

paint chip boxes

Can you cut things and also fold things? Good! Because then you can make these How About Orange paint chip boxes and store secret treasures in them. Or pennies and paper clips. Whatever you want.

paint chip art

I guess Jessica over at How About Orange was on a paint chip kick, which is lucky for us, because she also posted this rad paint chip wall art tutorial. The colors she selected make the triangles feel so fresh. If circles are more you, take a look at this piece over on The Crafty Scientist which has a lovely, scalloped/fish-scale effect.

So, which craft was the real hero today? And do you have any requests or suggestions for this Designer MacGyver? Spill ‘em in the comments!

Handmade

1. Thank you SOOOO much for including my paint chip art in this round up! I'm thrilled and flattered to be included in this list of creative talent! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

2. leona777 says:

Oh my, I will have the girls put the paint chips to use. They bring home their choices each time I go to buy paint. Going to attempt the chandelier.

3. N_boyd27 says:

Creativity is endless when you're in a relaxed functional atmosphere. Even colorful broken necklace beads double as counter confetti when entertaining baffet style. Good use of common every-day items.

4. Vicki says:

This is wonderful! I've been looking for something to do with my old paint chips. Thank you for sharing these great ideas.

5. Valerie Viramonte says:

Yes, isn't it just super we can pick up a fat handful of these wherever paint is sold the quise of it being a reuse craft. C'mon, really? Some stores have to pay for those paint chips. So to who's advantage and to who's disadvantage are these cute little crafts affecting.? Bottom line, you, the consumer. So stop already!!!

• Donna Sullivan says:

I thought it was pretty bold to suggest people go take paint chips for craft use when someone does have to pay for them. I have paint ships in my stash, but as left overs from actual painting projects. You can achieve the same results by using paper and or chip board for these projects, still costing less than a few dollars.

• Tina Gallagher says:

If I need to pick up a large handful of these chips, I ask at the counter of my DIY store. They let me pay for them up front. Aslong as you ask, most stores are happy to sell you a package. They don't cost much.

6. Brittany says:

Wow, what a surprise to see my nightstand in your paint chip post! Thank you for including it ;-) . Would you mind adding the photo credit to me and my blog? – Brittany aka PrettyHandyGirl.com

7. Rhiannon from HGE says:

Thank you for including my paint chip chandelier in your round up HGTV! What an honour :)

8. Atti says:

Now there will be a shortage of these when I gomlooknforcpaint colors. Thanks a lot!

9. [...] Briana Mowrey, a contributor to Design Happens on HGTV.com, blogged five easy projects even a DIY dunce like me can do – found here. [...]

10. Heather says:

Love this post Briana – great inspiration to make economical and easy decor and crafts for our homes! I just created a fun and easy DIY Ombre Christmas ornament using paint chips! It's a great way to add the hip and stylish Ombre trend to your home for the holidays! http://www.settingforfour.com/2012/11/diy-ombre-c