BRIANA: Ready for another super smackdown DEFEND THE TREND hot topic!? The word is BIRDS. Robins, owls, pelicans, seagulls, hummingbirds, what have you.

We know where Portlandia comes down on the issue, but what say you, design elite? Are they still hot or not? Or to put it in magazine terms, are they “wired”, “tired” or “expired”? Is there a particular bird you’d like to see go extinct in the design world? Are there some you’d like to see MORE of?

Penny for your snarks.

MARIANNE: I was ready to jump in all “thumbs down,” but if someone gave me an Eames House Bird, I’d put him on my mantle and name him Fred.

eames bird

LILI: Every time I think I’ve seen enough birds to last me a design lifetime, one or two pop up that I think are cute. I’m done with them on bed linens. But I can’t say I’m over them in bookshelves:

emily henderson shelf

Except for owls. If I never see another owl figurine, it will be too soon.

FARIMA: Birds in real life = Scary (I have slight ornithophobia). Birds in design = Cute, because they can’t fly (or give you the evil eye). Vintage birds are definitely my favorite.

bird illustration

BRIANA: I’m on the fence. I’ll say that I’ve had my fill of chickens and ducks because my mom had that classic ‘80s country motif thing going on. And I’m all “HOO HOO” is not over the owls at this point? But I still kinda like parrots. I blame Anna Spiro.

parrot figurine

And blackbirds or ravens. (Hello, Eames beauty.) Maybe it’s my inner Hot Topic-shopper talking?

BRIAN PATRICK FLYNN: [The trend is] Expired. I love a good aviary-ish fabric print or a bird-related oil painting, but I’m sick of bird silhouettes. Owls are nostalgic and fun, especially in an early 1970s way.

LIZ: Unless it’s designed by Charley Harper, you won’t see a bird inside my house.

charley harper bird

LILI: I will admit that I bought all of these Breezy Singers when DWR was selling them about 10 years ago. They would’ve scared you bird-a-phobes since they sang when you walked by.

breezy singers

GRANT: I like birdies in design — but I say “absolutely not” to hoot owls. My grandmother had this clock in her kitchen when I was growing up. I haven’t been the same since.

owl clock

BRIANA: Yeah, the duck phone I included as a link? Pretty sure we had that exact same model. Try talking into a duck butt for your formative years. It does something to you.

duck phone

MARIANNE: That explains so much.

KAYLA: I love birds in design and otherwise. However, my grandparents were strangely obsessed with ducks, so when I was little and would visit, all I had were these duck figurines to keep me occupied for hours. (I feel your pain, Briana.) And if you know me at all, you know I love owls and will always love ‘em.

One thing I can’t handle, though:

antonios birds

Sorry, Antonio.

LIZ: I also have birds-on-a-wire fatigue. We know: They sit there! They don’t get electrocuted! But I wish the endless wall decals would. In related news, just, no.

ABBI: I am sitting in a random house in Pennsylvania — Kellie Clements from Design Star is doing a design consult. The home owner is really open to all the suggestions, but just totally freaked at the idea of getting rid of some of her chicken figurines and paintings. She loves them. People be crazy about their birds.

[later]

LIZ: Okay…these are pretty amazing. I guess my bird-hating ways only go so far.

We’ve chirped enough about birds. Now, tell us how you feel…

1. vaneca says:

i love the birds because of the fact that i bet that it would feel great to fly like what if there was a woman in a wheel chair who never walked a day in her life and she got the one chance to feel the freedom not onn the ground but rather in the air i love birds i love all animals actually

2. Nancy says:

I have a vintage peacock and it's a focal point in my living room.

3. Kim D. says:

Briana, talking into a duck's butt…that was hilarious. I have enjoyed this blog today about the birds. I'm a bird lover and found it very interesting. And I use them to decorate with too. Thank you.

4. CplusE says:

I think I am ready for bird wall decals to go away for a while — this one sort of creeps me out (reminds me of the Hitchcock movie):

And good heavens, please not this:

But as long as avian accents are subtle and restrained, I don't mind birds in home décor. I thought these pillows were rather clever:

I like the idea of a caged bird flying free. (There is also a cat version, but the less said about that one the better!)

• Liz_HGTV says:

Ooh, that Hitchcock pillow is sooo creepy. I agree…a play on the cliche makes bird accents interesting. Not that I necessarily want them in my home. ;-)

5. Fleur says:

I love them. Google " bird poop chandelier." it's cooler than a lot of the things featured in the article.

6. norma says:

is there a place to put comments on the contest.

7. joanne says:

I have bird feeders outside placed so I can see the birds from inside. That's all the birds I need; none inside please to decorate with.

8. [...] Duct Tape Crafts You Must See to BelieveDesigner MacGyver: 5 Stunning Ribbon Crafts and ProjectsDefend the Trend: Do You Still Want to Put a Bird On It?Inside AnnouncementsThe Trend We All Love: Our New HGTV Shelf AppFriday Fun: The HGTV DuckExciting [...]

9. Jordis says:

I love the blue bird silhouette decor. They remind me of the twitter logo. I feel very fond and appreciative to it. These concepts can also jive with outdoor living.

10. debbief says:

Nature was, is, and will always be beautiful and timeless… no matter what!
    It is how WE depict and choose to use, that is OUR design dilemma.