Featured

After learning of the tragic passing of the legendary Nora Ephron yesterday, I mourned her wit and talent—Heartburn is one of my very favorite movies of hers. And then, I’ll admit, I mourned the loss of her eye for design. I’ve always thought that the set designs in her films were as major a character as anyone Tom Hanks or Meg Ryan played. And then I read this and realized I’m not alone.

After all, I can’t think of You’ve Got Mail without thinking of The Shop Around the Corner. Couldn’t you just picture yourself curling up with a good book in this cozy bookstore?

you've got mail bookstore

The Shop Around the Corner in You've Got Mail

While watching Julie & Julia I feasted on glorious images of Paris, swooned over Julia Child’s perfectly replicated kitchen, and seriously envied Julie’s rooftop dinner party.

Julie and Julia rooftop scene

Julie's rooftop in Julie & Julia

But my very favorite design moment from a Nora Ephron film? It has to be that “stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE,” in When Harry Met Sally.

when harry met sally coffee table

The infamous coffee table; Photo: IMDB

What about you? Do you have a favorite movie set from a Nora Ephron film? I’ll pop some popcorn while you dish in the comments.

Design Inspiration

1. Stacey says:

Yes! You've nailed it right on the head! That is the number one reason I love Nora Epfron films, the sets! I love Meg Ryan's and Tom Hanks' character's apartment in You've got Mail. I swear watch and rewind, and re-watch the opening scene, with the camera floating around her apartment, about a 100 times.

2. Lili@HGTV says:

I totally agree. Her movies are so cozy and comfortable you feel like you're tucked into a chair in the corner of one of the sets watching it unfold in person. She will be missed.

3. Kayla@HGTV says:

The Shop Around the Corner – sigh.

4. Elaine Treon says:

That book store gave me the happiest, coziest feeling.

5. [...] A Fond Farewell to Nora Ephron and Her Vision HGTV Design Happens Thu, June 28, 2012 3:27 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

6. pat c. says:

that was ONE ugly coffee table!

7. MaryPA says:

:'(:'(:'( Sooooo sad!
    Sleepless in Seattle n Julie & julia were also legendary.

8. @HB_Belle says:

*le sigh* I always think about her movies in the Fall… I think because they are so cozy. In my head moving to New York would totally look like "You've Got Mail." For example: http://www.hannahbdesign.com/blog/2010/10/13/simp

9. Jackie says:

Does HGTV stand for Homosexual and Gay TV? Seems every show is GAY

10. Pamella says:

I too love that opening scene in, "You've Got Mail", I want to live in that apartment! I want to be Meg's character and own the Shop Around the Corner…..I've always dreamed of my own business…something that was mine, all mine……………..sigh!