Growing up, my mother, grandmother, aunt — everyone in the family had matching dinnerware in their kitchen cupboards. Everything was super matchy-matchy and super boring-boring.

I’ll admit — I’ve regrettably fallen into the same ho-hum pattern. Those all-in-one dinnerware boxes are so darn convenient! But, I’ve been on a mission to break my family’s tradition of boring. It’s time.

I’m determined to buy all sorts of vintage plates to add variety in the kitchen. The varying colors are stunning, the looks are so different from anything in today’s mass market and let’s face it — they’re just plain pretty. The juxtaposition of styles takes me to a happy place.

This display of plates found at houzz.com is the exact look I’m shooting for. Come on, even if you’re not an antique/vintage-style lover, you have to admit that there’s something appealing about this colorful presentation.

Vintage Plates

What’s your take? Do you prefer dinnerware that matches, or are you interested in going rogue like me?

Design Inspiration

1. Marge Samuels says:

This is a great look. The different patterns and colors all make for a very appealing look. I like it!

2. Linda H. says:

I like the vintage style like these plates because vintage can be very eclectic.

3. Tammy says:

I will choose a mixture of looks for plates any day over a regular boring set. Why be plain when you can spice it up some. Looks good.

4. Sarah Goodall says:

A display like this just makes a room look so homey. It's showing creativity and not just settling for something easy.

5. Erin says:

Maybe even a mix of modern plates but I don't care for the vintage ones.

6. Jeanie says:

I'm just happy to see anything vintage. Maybe vintage will make a comeback.

7. @HB_Belle says:

We have one set of white dinnerware that we started with, but since then I've been on a mission to collect all the mis-matched china I can get my hands on! My grandmother seemed to be of the same mindset and when she died I inherited a treasure trove of mismatched teacups to add to my collection. Different & quirky is always better in my book ;)

8. [...] said it’s time to break that pattern by adding some pops of color to my dinnerware and as Grant Dudley said, this display is exactly what I’m looking [...]

9. Joan says:

I love the display shelf! Is it available somewhere?

10. Sue says:

I wonder if small wooden shutters could be used for the shelves? Just a thought.