What is the history of bottle trees? Best I can tell (don’t quote me on this), their origin dates back hundreds of years. Evidently, it was believed that evil spirits would be drawn to the shiny bottles and become trapped inside. Folks would place bottles on trees around their home to keep evil from getting in the house.

Now, I don’t know about all that — but, I do know that today they are used as decorative art in gardens and landscaping. BottleTree.com has made having one super easy. They provide the “tree” and colorful bottles and ship everything straight to your house. They’re both stunning and unique.

Bottle Tree

Do you know more about bottle trees? Tell me below. And, let me know if you actually have one of these “evil catchers.”

Art, Gardening

1. Karen says:

I've always heard, too, that the bottles trap haints–evil spirits that might want to come in your house and do you harm. But in my hearing, the bottles had to be blue. For my last birthday, my husband gave me a blue bottle tree kit–4 bottles of wine and the promise to construct the tree.

It's still a work in progress (I like wine). The tree is a piece of cherry from our yard with lots of room for more bottles. But I think it's looking pretty good. A picture is on my blog: http://beachhouseintheburbs.blogspot.com/2012/07/

Love the design ideas you offer!

2. Christina says:

I like the bottle trees with a combination of different colors. I've been wanting one of these and now I'm really in the mood for one! Thank you.

3. Tifni says:

How unusual. I don't think I've ever even heard of bottle trees. But I know I like them a lot now.

4. Natalie Newsome says:

I have a bottle tree and have all purple bottles on it. Different shades of purple, different shapes. Got some at Hobby Lobby and am going to looking in antique shops for more for the tree. You can find them in antique shops for as little as $4 and these are the ones that have the REAL charm. Love the bottle tree. Thanks for posting.

5. Sharon Rigby says:

I love my bottle tree I have been using wine bottles for mine

6. Regina Ammons says:

Learn something new every day. Never heard of these but I sure do like them.

7. Nancy R. says:

I, too, had never heard of or seen these before. I am definitely going to do one. I like different looking things for my yard. Can't wait to order one.

8. Michelle says:

It's a small world. I ordered a bottle tree last week and then I saw this today.

9. Carly Price says:

I am not sure if anyone has suggested this, but if you can locate an old French wooden bottle drying tree, and loop it with christmas lights before putting the bottles on, its spectacular looking!