Mondays were made for MacGyvering! Since it’s summer, I figured that featuring some kind of natural element would be in order. These cool projects I spotted (primarily on Pinterest) all involve rocks you can find in your backyard, or bring home from a trip to a nearby beach, lake, creek or river. I’m not talking about pet rocks, although your kids might get a kick out of using this Rockin’ Pig as a doorstop or paperweight. Take a look at these stone-cold awesome ideas.

rock craft picture stands

Green living guru Danny Seo shared these rock picture “frames” on his blog, Daily Danny. All you need are rocks and florist wire. Seriously! Maybe I’m partial to Danny’s work because I, too, am from Bucks County, PA (whut whut!), but I think this gallery would be ideal for displaying vacation snaps and postcards in a rustic home. You can check out more of Danny’s ideas on his blog or buy his book, Upcycling, which includes this project.

rock craft garden signs
I’m including these adorable vegetable garden markers from Repeat Crafter Me in my roundup, in case you missed them on our blog when Farima first featured them as a Daily Delight. I love both the fact that they’re a seamless fit for a garden and the creative way the shapes of the stones lend themselves to veggie likenesses.

rock craft escort cards

Have I mentioned I am in the midst of planning my wedding? Eeps! I’ve got an eye on my budget, which is why these nifty rock escort cards from the Barr Mansion Wedding by Francis Joseph Photography via Style Me Pretty are extra appealing to me right now. Plus, if you’re going for that organic vibe, it doesn’t get much more earthy than a rock!

rock craft runner

How sleek and practical is this rock runner from Love U Madly? I feel like it belongs in a Zen garden or a fancy spa where you’d get a soothing facial and sip detoxifying tea. Man, that sounds so relaxing. I should probably make one of these so I can have that feeling every day. Check out the blog to get all the instructions.

rock craft mosaic

Photo: Allan Mandell

This last one looks like a doozy, but I couldn’t leave it out because it’s so impressive. This pebble mosaic patio from Fine Gardening is based on a classic Persian rug design. You’d need a lot of rocks and a lot of patience to achieve the look, but the results are worth the effort.

Which of these rock crafts rocked your world? And is there some object you’d love to see featured in this column next week? Leave your suggestions in the comments!

Handmade

1. Adrian says:

The picture frames are very cute.

2. Annie P. says:

I think the rocks for a vegetable garden are really neat. Something different.

3. Faye M. says:

The mosaic in the last picture looks complicated but I like it a lot.

4. Peter says:

Painted rocks are a pet peeve of mine. Rocks have a beauty that man cannot compete with.

5. Bonnie says:

I totally love the runner! I would totally love the smooth stones on my shower floor…so calming and would feel so cool under my feet.

6. Kim @ Love U Madly says:

I'm thrilled my runner is part of this Design Happens post! Love all these ideas and I also used rocks as escort cards for our rehearsal dinner. We displayed them on a table with sand and driftwood (you can see it here: http://www.loveumadly.com/2011/10/i-wanna-rock-wi

7. BJH says:

http://www.loveumadly.com/?p=623 has great ideas for DIY rock seating cards at a rehearsal dinner!

8. Melissa says:

I agree..I want to touch that runner. Something so smoothing and soothing about it. Dare I say "it rocks"!!!

9. Jodie says:

I love the runner. It's amazing. Want one for my new front door!!

10. Liz_HGTV says:

I wanna rock…craft.

Sorry for that. Man, I love that rock mosaic, but the rock runner is a close second and it looks ever so much more doable. On the other hand, dream big!