You don’t have to spend the big bucks to get a designer-worthy, custom headboard for your bedroom. Why not put your DIY skills to the test and make it yourself? Designer and Design Star fan favorite Dan Faires and his wife live in a 375-square-foot apartment in the Lower East Side of NYC. It’s decked out in rustic, industrial-inspired furniture and decor much of which is constructed by Dan. One of the design elements often commented on by guests is the custom headboard in the master bedroom, made from a canvas drop cloth, plywood and carpet tacks. Little do they know how budget- and time-friendly this project really is.

Canvas Headboard With Nail Head TrimHGTV.com: Urban-Style NYC Master Bedroom

Canvas Headboard With Nail Head TrimHGTV.com: How to Make a Canvas Headboard With Nail-Head Trim

Dan provides a complete step-by-step tutorial on creating this exact headboard, so head over to his how-to and get started! Get the Full Step-by-Step Instructions >>

Looking for more urban, rustic and industrial design ideas? You don’t have to live in the city to bring the look and feel into your home. Get inspired by our newest guide to Urban Design.

Design Inspiration

1. Karina Carlson says:

For more great ways to sleep in style, check out more custom headboards, here: http://tiny.cc/0bulhw

2. Deborah says:

Nice headboard. Also I like the brick.

3. Lena S. says:

I always wanted brick walls too and when I realized I would never have them, I found on-line the most natural look brick wallpaper and had one wall done in that. So many people that have seen it say they never would have known it wasn't real.

4. Beth Harris says:

I would love to see the whole apartment. It's so neat and I'm loving that headboard.

5. Geoff says:

Have you seen a ForzaStone Natural Stone Groutless Shower? Just curious. It is real full slab stone, and yet is affordable for groutless shower installations. Looks amazing installed – Forza has engineered backer that makes it like super light and strong, but still stone in full slabs. The pictures are crazy to see. They have pics at <a href="http://www.facebook.com/Forzastone” target=”_blank”>www.facebook.com/Forzastone and also at their website… But I want to know if anyone else has heard about them or has a #ForzaStone Shower. This looks awesome… I want one.

6. Reese says:

I love the look of the headboard.

7. Barbara A Johnson says:

I've been an HGTV viewer for a very long time. I used tips from My First Place & Property Virgins before I bought my condo & "thanks" for that. And I absolutely LOVE Yard Crashers!!! Here's the thing; I think HGTVis mssing a viewing & programming niche. I, along with 12 of my condo owner neighbors, own rooftop, outdoors space in Brooklyn NY. There's tons of condo & co-op owners in Metro NY, as well as throughout the North-east Tri-State area & I KNOW we all crave some green space & outdoor living space on our roofs! What's missing on HGTV is a DYI show for urban property owners with outdoor space to fill. I'm sure such a show would be great viewing, educational & would leave we urbanites included in the HGTV experience! I even have a working name to suggest "Living for the City" (of course, you'd have to get Stevie Wonder's "okey-dokey")! I do hope you read this & give it some serious thought. We condo owenrs wanna be in the HGTV loop too! Much love!

8. [...] Read the full article here:HGTV How-To: Upholstered Headboard With Nail-Head Trim [...]

9. Matt Fisk says:

You, my friend, have impressed and surprised me. I never expected DiY headboards could ever be that easy.

10. Jeffrey Adams says:

The bed is great! It could be perfect with a black bedhead to make it look modern. I want to learn how to play with neutral colors, I think it gives my place a wider place.