Today marks the start of the 2012 Olympics!  Every four years, I forget that I’m not into sports and glue myself to the TV for event after event. Which dark horses will topple the favorites? Will the US win the most medals? Who will be the Michael Phelps and Shawn Johnson of London 2012?  Also: What can I snack on while I ponder these important questions from the sofa?

I’m no sports analyst, but I can help with that last one. Here are some (adorable!) Olympic-themed treats to try for tonight’s opening ceremony or anytime during this athletics-filled summer.

Gold Medal Sweets

Gold Metal Cookies From Sweet Sugar Belle; Hammer Throw Pops From Bird's Party

Going for Gold: Sweet Sugar Belle made these gold medal cookies with a sugar cookie base — get her step-by-step instructions for the decorations.  Or try a Hammer Throw Pop — carrot cake pops decked out with cream cheese icing and gold and silver sprinkles. (from Bird’s Party via HWTM)

International Flag Cupcakes

Graham Cracker Flags from Miss CandiQuick; Union Jack Cupcakes From Bird on a Cake

International Pride: Celebrate the veritable smorgasbord of nations at the Olympic Games with Miss CandiQuik’s sugar-coated cookies. They’re made from graham crackers coated in white chocolate and decorated with sanding sugar. Or, dedicate your dessert to this year’s host country with a white chocolate Union Jack cupcake topper.

Olympic Torch Cupcakes

Right: Torch Pops From Mixing Bowl Kids; Left: Fruit Leather Pops From Miss CandiQuik

Tasty Torches: Turn traditional ice cream cone cupcakes into an homage to the Olympic torch with colored icing or fruit leather.

Olympic Ring Sweets

Olympic Cake and Cupcakes via Hostess With the Mostess; Pancakes via FN Dish

Edible Odes to Olympic Rings: The Olympic rings symbolize the different parts of the world that unite to compete in the bi-annual games. There are endless ways you can recreate the look at home (Pizza! Fruit! Bagels!), but I especially like these simple fondant ring decorations and these technicolor pancakes.

What about you: Do love or hate the Olympics? Will you be watching?

Entertaining

1. Shannon says:

Ummmm, all these treats have my mouth watering. The gold medal cookies are adorable.

2. Jennifer Ashby says:

The technicolor pancakes are really different; a unique idea.

3. TAJ says:

I like the graham cracker cookies.

4. Thank you for the feature! Those pancakes are great!

5. Robin says:

I love all these Olympic-themed treats! Thanks so much for including my Union Jack cupcakes toppers!

6. Jill says:

Great ideas….love them all!

7. cookies says:

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really loved surfing around your weblog posts. After all I'll be subscribing in your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!

8. I don't really treatment how or when i get the Letters in the Mail. Every time it arrives, it feels like a letter should be. It's suddenly there in my mail box an individual day. A nice, tangible surprise. I am for you doing whatever you want when you send it. Mix it up for your folks who help get it sent out. Include crumbs from your lunch. Coffee stains. Whatever. Keep the tedious naturel of getting letters out to a minimum by doing whatever you feel like that day. The arrival with the letter and the words with the author inside are what matters. Personally, what I like greatest about The Rumpus is that I never ever understand what I'll browse that day. Or if there isn't one which day, maybe it's because Stephen couldn't obtain anything to say or there was too much likely on.

9. Jerry Engh says:

Awfully illuminating thank you, I do think your current visitors may perhaps want a whole lot more articles such as this continue the fantastic effort.