I spent this summer – my last summer as a student ever – interning here at HGTV.com. The beginning of August has only reminded me that it’s only a matter of weeks before I head back to class for my final semester at the University of Tennessee (Go Vols!).

I’ve lived on campus all four years of my college experience – two years in a “traditional” two-person dorm and two years in an on-campus apartment. At this point I could probably, pack, unpack and rearrange all the furniture to maximize the space in just a few hours.

That wisdom came with experience, however. Like many other students, I spent the entire summer before my freshman year of college fretting over what to bring to my new home. Mix together my panic with graduation money and things quickly got out of hand:

What I Thought I Needed to Be Organized:

What I Actually Needed:

• Paper shredder
  • 10 composition books
  • Multiple laundry bags
  • Laundry basket
  • More than three rolls of tape
  • Magazine rack
  • A plastic bin in every size
  • High school term papers, “for reference”
  • Pocket shoe organizer
  • Hangers

Needless to say I went overboard, much to the dismay of my poor parents who had to lug it all across the state only to have to turn around and take it all back when everything was intruding on my roommate’s side of our tiny room. Here’s what I’ve learned from the chaotic mistakes I made:

320 Sycamore shoe organizer idea

Melissa from 320 * Sycamore cut a hanging shoe rack to fit her narrow closet doors.

My favorite trick for keeping things tidy is investing in a couple over-the-door pocket shoe organizers. They’re inexpensive and readily available in stores at this time of year. They have deep pockets – making them perfect for stashing toiletries, school supplies, and snacks – and what’s best is that you can keep them behind a door or tucked away in the closet.

You could also try attaching clear folders to the wall for a neat place to hold homework, papers or a collection of menus for those late-night hunger pains:

hanging pocket folder organizer

Remember that whatever you do, organization is priority number one in a dorm room. Priority number two is not attempting to take your house with you to college.

For more creative ideas on controlling clutter in a dorm or small space, check out:

Clever Uses for Everyday Items in the Home Office

Repurposing Household Items for Closet Organization

Stylish Storage Solutions

Organizing

1. [...] Dorm Daze: Keeping a Dorm Room Organized HGTV Design Happens Wed, August 1, 2012 6:51 PM UTC HGTV Design Happens Rate Share (function(){var [...]

2. Carmen C. says:

Great idea with the shoe organizers for over the door.

3. Carol Sizemore says:

I laughed with I saw your What I Thought I Needed and What I Actually Needed lists. I'm sold on the over the door shoe organizers. So handy…can put so many things in them.

4. CMF/RED says:

Shoe organizer looks like it would become quite heavy when it came time to close the door!! Actually, maybe a great idea for some, I'll pass.

• Laura says:

Avoid the door, there is usually only one anyway. Use 3M hooks on the wall, then you can use more than one shoe organizer and the hooks remove cleanly when you are done avoiding those pesky holes in the walls.

5. Jeanette W. says:

Found the perfect storage solution for a cramped dormitory or apartment! Doesn't take up any floor space and snap together for easy assembly. Comes with neat accessories too! <a href="http://www.offthefloorezstore.com” target=”_blank”>www.offthefloorezstore.com

6. jeanette says:

Love these ideas! I did alot of searching and finally found something I cant live without. I have been living in a small apartment for the past 2 years and cant find any place to put all my things. My best friend turned me onto a hanging organizer that doesnt take up any floor space. It has wall mounts or hang options, no tools necessary (good thing because im not very handy lol). It comes with storage bins and shelves in all different colors. I found them on <a href="http://www.offthefloorezstore.com” target=”_blank”>www.offthefloorezstore.com check it out i love it :)

7. I have seen a lot of tips in the internet on how to organize your dorm room. Actually this one is the best. :)

8. Debra says:

Check out the all-in-one storage solution using "air space" for cramped rooms at http://www.offthefloorezstorecom!

9. Ivan Herrera says:

All I needed when I had to tidy up my room was one big plastic bin where I neatly put all my clutter in. It's now safely tucked under my desk where it isn't an eyesore or an obstacle to getting around the room.

10. Rosetta says:

In otheг words, you would wаnt to go to day spа if you merely need tо
    relаx from a hectic week sso you feel enеrgized for anotheг week.
    During the initial consultation, talk with the staff abοut your expеctations and bе sure tto ask any questions that have been
    on your minԁ. The real question is whether it
    is being headdd by a pгofеssional doctor-you should try to get a medical spa that is-and everyone
    should bbe lіcensed or at least haѵe а lоt of expеrience; enough
    that yoou seee a thorough poгtfolio of thesir work.

my page; hоuston spas (Rosetta)